Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Isuzu Rodeo Sport 2001. This problem only happens in the morning. When i go to start the car it will start like normal and then just die. When i start it a second time it is just fine. However, if i am able to start it the frist time and put it in reverse it will stall while in reverse. I am a little frustrated b/c my car only has 32,000 miles and i just brought it in for the 30K maintane and that specific problem and the guy told me it was a dead battery. So i replace the battery. AND THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM <although my battery did have a bad cell> it still is continuing the same problem. Also, ever since I left the dealership my check engine light has been on and the Service Tech told me that is b/c I need a new ABS coil even though my ABS light is not even on!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
First,

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

Second, take a deep breath and relax.

Third, the Rodeo Sport comes with two engines. Is yours the 3.2V6 or the 2.6 4-Cyl.

Fourth - The CEL is a PITA, but, you have found this board and it is your new comfort zone.

See, don't you feel betta all ready :lol:

The CEL indicates something is wrong with the emissions control system. Typically, this is either the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculating) Valve or the O2 Sensor(s) located in the exhaust line near the catalytic converter. Your truck may have two, one in front of and one behind the converter. The converter is a muffler looking contraption further forward than the muffler itself.

You can have your CEL code checked for free at either AutoZone or Advance Auto. There may be others. Most shops charge about $60 to read the code(s).

Get the code(s) read, and post those codes back here and we can better explain what may be happening.

Topically, it sounds like your 02 sensor may have crapped out - which is typical with the mileage your reporting. They take a lot of abuse in the exhaust line. If this is the case, then your motor isn't possibly receiving the correct air/fuel mixture on startup if the computer thinks your motor is at operating temperature and its actually cold. - THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION - Get the codes read.

If you plan on having your chariot for a long time, consider getting the service manual here: http://www.helminc.com - Spendy, but worth its weight in gold.

Also, get in the habit of checking the oil (if not already) - I always get paranoid about that when problems such as yours start cropping up.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
mepr said:
a 3.6L? dont you mean a 3.5? But either way LTC's advise should still apply. Good luck it.
I don't know for sure, but I think the RS/Amigo's and Rodeos come with the 3.2L (and some with the 2.6L). The Troopers and VXs (and later Axioms) all came with the 3.5L.

But, narrowing it down to 3.x helps. My bets are on the 02 sensor(s). Pretty sure the 3.xL motors all have two sensors, upwind and downwind of the converter.

The code(s), when you get them will prolly start with P0xxx where the 'x' will be some numerical value.

Cheers,

·
Registered
823 Posts
If its any comfort, as far as the starting thing, my 00 does the soem thing from time to time, thoguht it is a 5spd, and I am not tripping any lights.

the 3.5 DI is avail ont he 04 rodeos...(potent little thing too)...

My 2 cents

Chase

BTW, I honestly think it has something to do with the drive-by-wire on the 00-01s..my 99 has a throttle cable, my buddys 02 doesnt do it, but his wifes 01 does as well....

Take it to auto zone, they will scan it for free, and you will know what is wrong...

BUT, you might want to try disconnecting the battery fro about 5 mins, and then re-connecting it, see what happens....

·
Registered
591 Posts
Amigo-2k said:
Sounds like a classic intake manafold gasket problem.

See my FAQ link below.

You are covered by your warranty.

-Ryan
I second that. Classic 1998+ 3.2/3.5 bad intake manifold symptoms. Many times it's very subtle- like the issue you are having.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just found this thread, so I'm a little late joining the conversation. I bought a used 99 amigo, v6 3.2, with 36k miles (currently.) Am I covered by warranty at all?

-My idle flutters between 500 and 1000 rpm when I start the car. Yesterday it actually killed while doing this, which was the first time. It wasn't a cold engine, I had just driven the car about 50 miles.

-My check engine light has been on for about 3 weeks; it went off briefly, then came back on. The gas cap is on past 3 clicks.

- I have a high pithced wheeze/whine that comes from the engine when the car is running, but no gas is applied. When I press the gas, it goes away (I believe.)

I'll pass by autozone today to get some codes, and report my findings. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, intakes are a problem. typically it is the lower intake manifold gaskets. They are plastic with sheet metal on either side. You can take a can of brake clean and spray down the sides of the intake while at idle and see if your idle quality changes.

Also, the 3.2 and 3.5 (to a lesser extent) have EGR problems. Take off the air tube from the air cleaner box and open up the throttle body. If you have fly by wire type just open it up with something that won't damage or mar the throttle body. Anyway, open up the gate and take a look with a flashlight at about the 7 o'clock position. You should see a small tube about the size of your pinky. This can clog badly, usually only right at the end of the tube.

Also, check the EGR valve itself.

Hope this helps.

-Wrench

Did someone mention getting a code???????? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.