Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched here and didn't really found anything relates to my problem

these two days, when I try to start the engine, i would hear "one" click, then nothing happened, my voltage drops a little bit, about 9v, and i try few times more, sometimes after 5 seconds it would start to crank and start the engine, sometimes it would take more than 10 trys. once it starts and the engine runs just fine. my battery is good and alternator putting good charging voltage. so I think i have the bad starter brush? am I right?
and also while my engine running, there a strange sound there like bad water pump or something, but the car drives just fine and water temp is fine.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Same symptons I had with my 94 3.2, replaced the starter and no further trouble. I've also read posts with the same symptoms, same repair. If you think the water pump is making noise I'd get right after it! My girlfriends basically exploded and she then overheated it and warped the heads. Her water pump didn't leak prior to grenading itself. Your noise could be several things but I'd check the water pump and the idler pulley / bearing sooner rather then later.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply! can I just pull the starter and rebuild it? I think it might just be the dirty brush inside the stater... that would be a lot cheaper than a new starter.
and my timing belt is about due now about 50,000 ( 4.5 years) . and same as the three drive belts. I will do have the belts/timing belt/water pump all replaced soon. just hope there to be a warm day.. don't have a garage..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to take the starter off and was trying to clean it, first, I could get the starter off the car but can't get it off the vehicle cause the exhaust pipe is in the way, 2nd, then I took the solenoid off the motor with the whole thing in the little room on the car, then I discover that the solenoid is not serviceable. so i put everything back on.

I think I will have to replace and new starter soon. And as I do the research here, JLEMOND mentioned that the starters on rodeo and trooper are the same just different type of connection, Rodeo Starter is serviceable and can be taken off in three parts.
I am thinking should I get a Rodeo Starter or I should get a trooper starter? since I'll have to take the section of exhaust pipe off to pull the starter anyway. but it might be better to service the starter in the future if I have the rodeo starter in there... I won't have to do the pipe again.
even if I want to save some more money, maybe I should just go to junk yard and pick up a rodeo starter for like $20, and clean it with a new contact cost like $10, total $30 a new starter,

any opinions?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just my .02 but I've had to make this decision a few times. I'd always just bought a rebuilt starter and moved on, problem solved until one time i decided I would save the money and have the local alternator/generator shop redo it. Like yours mine was in the mode of working on occasion but then dead. Problem is when this is happening you are burning up parts inside the starter that have to be replaced so my local alternator shop rebuild was as much as an off the shelf unit and if it breaks I have one mom and pop shop to deal with instead of being able to go to any town in US and swap it out. I won't do a local rebuild again.

Last time I paid the few dollars extra for a new unit. Is like 200.00 but I had to have it that day. Do not need to think about it again for another 100k or so. If you can wait the shipping time a new one from RockAuto is less than 100.00. For me is worth it knowing it is a completely new unit.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. I think I will just buy a new unit that would last another 5 + years.
I just wondering if I should get the Rodeo one or the Trooper one.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'd get the Troop one. Am not sure of the difference on the Rodeo but apparently they are different.

FWIW retailmenot.com almost always lists a current coupon for 10% off at RockAuto if that is the place you end up buying from.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the tip, I bought from amazon.com just for faster two days free shipping...
but i haven't put the new one on yet, I went to coin-op car wash another day, and pressure soap the underside of trooper, now it starts everytime.... :S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.