Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 Trooper V6 will not start at times but is so random that I am having trouble pinning down any one common cause. When it fails to start it will first turn over about 1 revolution and then the battery acts like its dead and the starter will just click and when you jump start it spins right over and starts. This some times will go on all day but usually by the time I get home it will start up just fine (in the garage) and may or may not fail the next time I'm out. I have had the alt. and the battery check, I have put new cable ends on both sides and checked the grounds. Another thing is that when it won't start the lights are bright and barely dim down when I try to start it. I have considered putting a new starter on but I would really like to be certain this was the problem and not end up stranded with a new starter and the same problem. Any suggestion would be welcome Thanks DAVE

·
Registered
523 Posts
To eliminate the possibility of it being a Pos Batt cable or in the wiring harness, try running a length of 8-10 gauge wire straight from Batt Pos to Pos terminal on the Alt.

I had similar trouble, and it turned out to be in the wiring from batt to alt, and the 6 ga wire i used fixed it and even made my headlights brighter.

Wish I had tried the wire thing first. I replaced the Alt, starter, and Batt......all with negative results. But at least I had a battery to put in my other Trooper!

·
Registered
925 Posts
99% sure its the pos terminal on the battery. similar thing happened on my 90 troop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
SAME exact thing on my '95 Ford Probe. Great car, got it for 225 in Florida, had it for almost 3 years til I threw a rod and the only problem I had was that. My Battery to Alternator wire was toast. Looked fine, but I put in some thicker wire and ran it straight across and I never had the problem again.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mystery solved, it was the alternator I had O'Rileys check it off the truck and they said it was good( the young guy that checked it was having trouble using the tester) so I had been testing and checking every thing else which seem to check out so I was pulling my hair trying to figure it out. I have an old engine analyzer that I wasn't sure I could trust but when I checked the alt. on the truck running it showed 11.5 volts so I changed the alt. from a friends truck and run tested it and it is showing 13.5 volts. The trucks been running on the battery and the alt. has been putting out just enough to keep the light off but not charging the battery. Thanks every body that responded DAVE

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Good to hear, I would not of thought of the alt! I will keep that in mind for my V6 Trooper

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
By the way, Jerry had a couple of brand new alts for sale for 50 bucks over in the classified a day ago.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I'll call Jerry in the morning and see if still has one and order if he does. I can run the one I have on the Trooper now till I get a new one. Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts