Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo - I have a '91 Trooper II, GM LL2 2.8L. I have a couple of question regarding the starter/solenoid assembly. Unit is out of vehicle. Is it possible to 'bench test' the starter and solenoid out of the vehicle? If so, how? Can I put 12v across v (+ from Batt.) the large copper terminal on the solenoid and S (- from ignition ?) the smaller terminal on the solenoid or will this blow the solenoid?

Also, this is a Delco-Remy starter/solenoid unit. The large copper terminal (labeled v) has two nuts on this copper bolt and the bolt is loose. I assume it is supposed to seat into its setting and be tightened down or is it supposed to be adjusted to seat on some contact inside the solenoid?

On this S/S unit, there is not the typical large wire going into the starter from the solenoid (unless it is in the casing itself) but there is an adjustment nut at the bottom of the solenoid with a tension bar. Any idea how this is to be adjusted?

Much appreciated! j

Also, how do you insert an image into these posts. Very frustrating...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yes you can give 12V to the starter solenoid and will engage the gear. If there is no power to the large post then the motor just wont turn.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yo
if you go to the "member's rides" section, the very first thread relates to "how to post a picture". i see that you are new here, so we'll cut you some slack. but what is usually done when you have a question is that you go to the "search" section at the top of the page and type in your question there. you will find lots and lots if good information by doing the search. if you don't find a satisfactory answer, then you should post the question to our wonderful and helpful members.
i hope you don't take my reply the wrong way, i'm just trying to show you how you can get a quick answer without having to wait for a reply to your liking.

so, with all that being said, i'd like to welcome you to planetisuzoo. and we all hope that you'll soon post up some pictures of your trooper for us.

cheers, john

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
ooops!!
my bad. after i posted, i noticed that you are not new to planetisuzoo. i saw that you only had 7 posts put up so i (man, i hate to use this word) assumed that you were new. my apologies to you.

cheers again, john

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
betterthanyou said:
Yes you can give 12V to the starter solenoid and will engage the gear. If there is no power to the large post then the motor just wont turn.
Thanx, Geoff, for the reply. I did try jumping 12v across the two solenoid connectors but got no response. I took the unit down to local NAPA for a bench test. They said if failed citing bad armature, brushes or just leading up. I don't think the latter because it was starting real fine until it slowly died over about two days and just a few starts each successively worse than the previous. Original trouble was a bad battery (but I can't complain, I ran that Interstate for over 10 years, gotta luv it).

Guess I'M gonna disassemble the units and see what I can find. Maybe hit it with a hammer first a few times. I'm thinking it still works just something not right. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again. - Driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, hope all is well with you.

Well, as mentioned my original 'no start' problem which I thought was gonna be my starter was in fact a tired old battery. Seems I had forgotten that a battery could hold a 12v charge, take 14v off of the alternator and give an old goat like myself the impression that that battery was still good when in actuality it had lost its cranking voltage (reminds me of a few buddies I know). I had originally suspected the battery but those voltage readings had me convinced the battery was good when in fact it wasn't and I had forgotten how to check it for cranking voltage the old fashion way (nowadays its an electronic tester, go figure). I guess after ten years I just began to believe that ol' Interstate was never gonna die.

I decided to rebuild the starter anyway and a look inside it it was amazing it started the truck like it did, bingo - varoom. Anyway, I posted that rebuild on my website so if it helps someone else rebuild their starter then it was all well worth the while.

Thank you all for your assistance with this and I hope you have a good day...

Driver

Guess you could say 'Old batteries never die, they just lose their cranking voltage...hey?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts