Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '92 trooper and the starter has quit. All it does now is click. I took the bolts out and unhooked the power cable to it. It is now completley detached from the vehicle. I can't work the stupid thing out though!!!!!!!!!! From what I can tell, it looks like I'm gonna have to take the exhaust pipe off to get it out. Advice?????????????

·
Registered
68 Posts
I read something on this forum about this...yep, you gotta take the exhaust pipe off, but make sure you use plenty of WD-40 or the like on the bolts and let it soak for a while before you take them off. This will aid in removal of the bolts, otherwise you risk breaking them off...my two cents...no bad luck for you my friend!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I answered your PM for you.

We have the Rodeos so I don't know what is different under there, but it will come out-it is just finding THAT position to drop it out.

I will definately let you know tonight-we are both at work today and there is no way that I can get a hold of him-he is in meetings all day.

Sorry I can't help you sooner.

Shan

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Hey I used to live in Southern Ill. Where are you locacted?

I can say you may unbolt the motor mounts and the tranny mount and lift the engine a bit to snake it out of there. I've done this a time or two, but it may not help on the Trooper. I'm a Rodeo guy too.

Joe

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Take the motor mount loose on the starter side, jack the engine up ( it will only go so high), the head of the starter comes out first, the stud on the starter has to face the oil pan, shoud wiggle out.

Shan

(for the rodeos)

·
Registered
825 Posts
had to remove exsaust to do it on my 95 rodeo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did mine on my 92 Trooper w/ out removing anything additional. I will come out, it took a while, and you need extensions to get to the bolts. I did have to pull out a small rubber tube going into my front axel (4x4) and move some wiring out of the way then I had to flip it end to end then it came out. Putting the new one back in was just as challenging, but it will go. I was a pain for me, because it croaked in a parking lot, and I just slid under it to change it, so my movement was very limited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.