Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent much of the last two days dealing with a problem that most people here probably haven't run into. See, I just rebuilt a 2.8 for an 89 trooper I picked up from *******. It needed a clutch pretty badly...wasn't completely gone, but was close enough that I had no interest in putting it back in. And because the cost of a clutch for these things is more than I'm willing to pay, I went an alternate route. I used a flywheel and pressure plate from an '88 S10, and had a clutch disk made by a friend of mine who works at a shop that does drivelines, clutches, etc.

My problem turned out to be that the flywheel for the S10 is bigger than that for the Trooper. It still fits inside the bell housing, of course (barely), but the starter no longer had the clearance to even bolt on without damaging the housing, much less have room for the solenoid to push the bendix into position.

No, the S10 starter won't work because it's a passenger side starter.

No, a starter for an Isuzu pickup with a 3.1 won't work either because, even though it has a bigger clutch than the Trooper, the outside diameter of the flywheel is the same.

No, just shimming it down farther didn't work, either...I went a full 3/4" and still couldn't get clearance after running out of room inside the bell housing to drop it further.

I've had the starter in and out maybe 20 times the last couple of days, and what I finally ended up doing was drilling out the bolt holes in the starter to 11/16", and shimming the starter down 15/32" from the block, and scooting the starter out against the bolts while tightening. I just got the starter in and working a couple of hours ago, and it turns over smoothly now. In fact, it started and ran perfectly with the first turn of the key after I put the plugs, wires and coil in it. Oil pressure is 55 at idle, and it runs as quiet and smooth as any motor I've ever built. At least there was a payoff after all that headache.

So...yes, it's possible to put a clutch in one of these much cheaper than the $180+ price tag from the parts store..is it worth it? My checkbook says yes, my aching back and the last two days of aggravation tell me otherwise. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Thinking I paid around $115.00 for my Exedy clutch kit for my 2.8 now 3.1 Trooper. I'm not made of money by any means but gotta say I'd pay that money again before I'd go through the hassles you went through. Glad to hear you got it sorted though!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started to write "It'll never happen again, I'm sure", but then I realized....sure it will. Maybe not over this trooper, but it'll happen again. Sometimes I get stubborn and have to do things my way, and I'm positive this won't be the last time.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
rhodes
i almost had the same problem with my 3.4L swap. i inadvertantly installed the camaro flywheel to the engine while it was still out on the engine stand. since i had to drill in new holes for the starter on the proper side, i thought that i'd check the starter to flywheel clearance. well, that's where i had the same problem you did. there was no way that starter would have lined up. at first i thought i did a bad job drilling the new holes, but after concluding that i didn't, i held up the other flywheel to the one on the engine. the one in my hand, the trooper flywheel, was smaller than the one on the engine, the camaro flywheel. i later went online to a parts store website and looked up the 2 different vehicles for their flywheels. yes, they have different parts numbers.
so here's a good tip. whenever you think you might use an S-10 part on your trooper, look it up first to see if it is the same part as the trooper part.
glad you got it to work, i just hope that the starter doesn't shift around later because of the larger holes and cause you problems.

cheers, john

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad you got it to work, i just hope that the starter doesn't shift around later because of the larger holes and cause you problems.
Not saying it couldn't, but it's unlikely. The spacers I built have a relatively rough surface that would make it difficult for the bolts to loosen on their own, and I got them pretty tight...tighter than I probably should've, really, and I was worried about pulling threads out of the block or breaking a bolt when I put the horse to them. But even if they do loosen and it moves a little, I'll know right away and it'll be no problem to shift it where it belongs and tighten it back up.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yup although the Rodeo/Trooper is a RWD vehicle it uses a GM FWD block, starter and flywheel. The intake and accessories are from a RWD setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts