Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past two mornings I've gone to fire up my troop... And when I turn the key to start, it just clicks (doesn't attempt to turn over). Then after two more attempts, its happy and starts. Any hints before Itear into it?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Starter is more than likely o.k.

Contacts in the Solenoid are probably bad.

Cheap fix. :)

Jim

·
Registered
558 Posts
well does the statrter motor turn over? becouse usually when the soloniod goes bad the motor will just "free spool" (it will turn but not engage the fly wheel). Where as if it just clicks that usually means that the soloniod is engaging but the motor isnt turning. Either way its probly just as easy as tearing it down and cleaning it a bit. Worst case i say you might have to get some motor brushes which are probly not more than a few bucks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removed the starter today. After I removed the last bolt holding the starter on, it broke loose, and sparks and smoke at the battery.

:oops: Forgot to disconnect the battery.

Iv'e always heard the stories. And I always thought, "I would never be that stupid".
The insulation for the negative cable coming off the battery is completely melted.
Time for a beer. Gonna take another crack at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
TexasTrooper said:
Removed the starter today. After I removed the last bolt holding the starter on, it broke loose, and sparks and smoke at the battery.

:oops: Forgot to disconnect the battery.

Iv'e always heard the stories. And I always thought, "I would never be that stupid".
The insulation for the negative cable coming off the battery is completely melted.
Time for a beer. Gonna take another crack at it tomorrow.
Must of been 20 years ago, I managed to do a pinkie ring, ratchet, bare metal combo short while changing a water pump on a small block Chevy.

Dam near lost my little finger.

I can still see the smoke and smell the sizziling meat.

To this day I have a nice indented ring around it that will not tan.

Glad you came out O.K.

Jim

P.S.

I dont wear rings anymore, and I make a point to yank the cable. :wink:

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I still wear rings even though they have cause problems (smashed my pinkie ring many times) though I have smartened up enough not to have long necklaces dangling into things. I wear one but its short, my hair is longer :p

Cant say that I would never forget to disconnect the battery before removing the starter, I just havent yet. I always thought I would never be stupid enough to hook up battery cables backwards but managed to do that once. Blew a fuse and fried my stereo.

Hope things go better with the rest of the starter install.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well Giz, that little 12 volt battery taught me a lesson.

I work with 120, 240, 480 volts every day.

why take chances.

Jim

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,
I glad to know I'm not the only fella who's tripped up in this area before. Geez Jim, that story about the pinky ring sounds traumatizing. I hope I learned my lesson now.

Today, I slapped on the new starter, reinsulated the battery cables, and replaced the old battery terminals, as they were pretty badly melted. Started her up. Everything is fine.

A patient student, I am now awaiting the next lesson my ol troop will throw at me. 8)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Our solenoid went bad in the 95. After 4 hours of wiggling that thing out of there-you would think it would get easier -mine had to come out twice in the 96-it is finally replaced and running fine.

Same thing as here-click click.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.