Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been dragging kinda slow for several days. I ignored the warning sighns.
So when I went out to lunch today, sure enough, it " stranded " me at the BBQ resteraunt.
Dang good thing I just so happend to park on the hill, and have the mua trans. Roled her to a start & got back to work.
Amazingly, O'Reilly Auto accually HAD ONE IN STOCK! :shock:
:lol:
$124.00 out the door with lifetime warranty. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Those are not !!! I'm very lucky to have my solid axle. I think it will make the nightmare easier. The choices of disasembling the starter to remove it or cut the exhaust sounds crapy !!! Catfuz suggests undoing the motor mount and lifting the engine up for more room.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 95 trooper and can change the starter in 10
Minutes. No lifting motor or removing any thing. Well just needed to remove axel vent tube. I think the rodeos have a problem with the starters .

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
loopedr1 said:
I have a 95 trooper and can change the starter in 10
Minutes. No lifting motor or removing any thing. Well just needed to remove axel vent tube. I think the rodeos have a problem with the starters .
I dont see how! :lol:
I know WHO TO CALL the next time mine goes out! :lol:
I had to remove the exhaust pipe behind the starter to get it out of the little tiny itsy bitsy hole Isuzu thought would be so fun to put it into! :evil:
Took me about 2 hours. Bet I can do it in 1 hour next time though.
I will say this though, between the whole motor swap and now starter replacement ordeal, I take back EVERY BAD THING I have ever said about 3" body lifts!!!!! They are AWESOME when you have to work on the Trooppers! :lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH, and let me add, it would have been AWESOME if ISUZU would have left more than 1" of slack on the battery cable!!!!!!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
504 Posts
My 95 has a 3.2 and my starter comes out easy....unbolt it. Then remove axel vent tube then remove starter towards the front over the axel. Mine still has stock exhaust to. Maybe my exhaust is different or something. I can take pics if you need.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Well, darnit! When mine died it was an hour under there looking at every possible geometric approach to removing it, without success. I eventually unbolted the exhaust (thank heavens they weren't rusted siezed) and removed a section of pipe to get it out.

Will try the axle next time, or jack up the engine on it's mounts.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the exhaust downpipe bolts & nuts are not rusted, it comes out real easy through the back. I have a hunch someone somewhere at some point in time has shortened my starter wire & put a new lug terminal on it. I mean, come on! Get real! 1" of slack???? That CAN'T be normal. It accually took LONGER to unhook the main wire going to the solenoid than it did to unbolt the starter AND exhaust!!!!!
Speaking of unbolting exhaust, I had an advantage there as i had just installed the exhaust a few weeks ago when i did the motor swap! :lol: So the 2 nuts on the manifold studs and the two lower bolts came off super easy. :D

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Its real easy to get to on 2WD 2nd gen Rodeos. Just two bolts and an electrical connector!
Plus you can throw some new contacts in there for $8 when the original ones wear out. :D

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm lucky with the solid axle. I just don't want to rub it in :)... I assure you everything else is still a pain though...:)

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
COYOTE102076 said:
Speaking of unbolting exhaust, I had an advantage there as i had just installed the exhaust a few weeks ago when i did the motor swap! :lol: So the 2 nuts on the manifold studs and the two lower bolts came off super easy. :D
Hope you anti seized everything so it comes apart just as easy the next time you need it to.

On 2nd gen rodeos you can bend out part of the metal inner fender and get your hands in that way to get to the wiring. It helps but still a PITA.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
.02cents

when i had my exhaust built i made them bend the exhaust further away form the starter. I burned out 4 starters on my truck in 5yrs. so the new bends were made gave me more room to change the starter(it still sucks tho and takes alot longer than id like to admit) but its much easier now. and wrapped the crap out of the exhaust from manifold down past the starter with header wrap. as heat was what was fryin mine out. and mine would just die. no warning signs.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crash said:
............... and wrapped the crap out of the exhaust from manifold down past the starter with header wrap. as heat was what was fryin mine out. and mine would just die. no warning signs.
OH CRAP! :shock:
i guess i better get my starter heat shield back on ASAP! i guess! :shock:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
well they are there for a reason but my supercharger exasterbated(sp) the problem to a new degree! my heat shields rotted off in the first year i owned the truck. the dummy i am, i can figure out how to put 36lb injectors in my truck but not realize the heat was killing my starter til the 4th time. DOOHHHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Did you just call me johnny quest?????? LMFAO!!!!! dude what era did you spawn from?...wait nevermind i know that answer!!!! yah im slow with some things...just trying to help him out!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.