Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please some one help me, I have an 88 Trooper with 4ZE1 motor, recently the vehicle started trying to start hard like the battery was getting low, I figured my battery was dying due to it being 5-6 years old, the other day it got to the point it just wouldn't turn over, even with tapping the starter. So I had a buddy bring an extra battery to put in it that was good, still no start, so i grabbed a spare parts starter i had from a parts vehicle, and purchased a new battery, everything seemed to work great for two days, it then started doing the same thing yesterday, hard start and had to tap the starter to get it to turn over, now today it is completely dead, I have taken the battery back to NAPA and they checked it and said it was totally fine, just needed a charge, they charged it for me and i brought it back, now trying both starters hard wired to the battery, they work, but very weakly, I doubt enough to turn the motor at all. Now I have come to few conclusions I have come to about my situation and i need professional advice on which might be the real case. 1 I just had real bad luck and both starters were bad and drained the battery, not my strongest suspicion. 2 My alternator is shorting out and frying the starters and draining my battery, this is my biggest suspicion. 3 I have an electrical short somewhere in my wiring but i don't know how this would fry my starters. Please some one help me figure this out so i dont have to buy a bunch of stuff that isn't neccesary.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Reinstall both the battery and the starter.

Now get someone to give you a "jump start". Make sure they are connected, then let their car run for at least 4 or 5 minutes at a high idle, before trying to start yours. Then make sure they stay at the high idle while you are trying to start.

Tell us the results.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
results are nil just a click from the starter no turn over

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep jumped as described

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Remove the starter and bench test it with the battery, assuming the battery has a full state of charge. That'll take all else out of the equation.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok the starter turns same as before but very weakly,

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
eta145 said:
ok the starter turns same as before but very weakly,
Are you replying to my "bench" reply? Battery fully charged from a charger and not the alternator? If so, take the starter back. These bad starters aren't coming from NAPA are they? The seem to have better quality starters, alternators, etc as compared to other box stores.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes battery put on chrger showing full charge, starters were both used at beginning of all this, but not in bad shape ie clean, no grease or dirt and had no problems til put onto vehicle, someone else suggested a bad ground to the block, anything to that?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I was going to suggest a bad ground but since you bench tested it with a battery and it's slow, it's a bad starter. Take it back and have them test it on their machine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would there be any way a bad alternator could fry a starter?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
eta145 said:
would there be any way a bad alternator could fry a starter?
Seriously doubt it. Get another starter, have them demo it for you so there are no questions and proceed from there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm takin everything up to NAPA to find out what is bad what is good and what i can reuse and what i cant. and hopefully whats bad or causing problems

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I figure if i cant drive it i just unbolt it and take it somewhere, if everthing checks out its wiring, if it doesn't then i have start to go on with parts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok update on the problem, hopefully its fixed, seemed to have been the starter didn't have a good ground to the block, so i grabbed another used starter cleaned everything real good, put an extra ground wire to the starter, i figure if it does it again its wiring, cuz my battery and alternator checked out as good.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
eta145 said:
ok update on the problem, hopefully its fixed, seemed to have been the starter didn't have a good ground to the block, so i grabbed another used starter cleaned everything real good, put an extra ground wire to the starter, i figure if it does it again its wiring, cuz my battery and alternator checked out as good.
Glad to see it spins up now. Evidently, you didn't have a good ground established when you bench tested it as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
both the old starters were fried when i had them checked at napa, they turned but very weakly, they were the ones i had bench tested my self, so hopefully the ground issue is all it was and it trying to start with bad grounding is what burnt up the earlier starters, i'll know in the next few days if starter three goes out.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
eta145 said:
both the old starters were fried when i had them checked at napa, they turned but very weakly, they were the ones i had bench tested my self, so hopefully the ground issue is all it was and it trying to start with bad grounding is what burnt up the earlier starters, i'll know in the next few days if starter three goes out.
Great. I mistook used starter for your second one. If need be, run an extra ground or two from the NEG post to the block. Can't have too many grounds on these isuzus.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts