Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who didn't know (almost all of you), I got an internship at General Electric in Plano, TX for the summer.

I'm a BBA student at the University of Texas at Austin. I just finished my first year. My father works as an engineer at GE and I was very fortunate that he knows a few people in the business area whom he could send my resume and put my name on a few applications for internships.

I was interviewed by two people over the phone. The first was a more personal, tell-me-about-yourself as a whole kinda interview and I felt confident that the lady liked what she heard and that I was definitely being considered for the position. The second interview was not so great, as it was more technical, industry-related and many of the questions were regarding previous work experience in a business setting, which I had to admit I had very little seeing as I have only completed one year of the BBA curriculum.

I heard back a few days later and was told that I really stood out as a candidate, but they had given an MBA student my position as he had more experience that they were looking for. Later, they called me again and told me he refused the offer and that I could take it if I was still interested. Of course, given the limited availability of any jobs and the potential for invaluable experience from such a high-caliber internship, I accepted immediately.

Long story short, today was my first day as an intern at GE. I was really starting to accumulate a whole lot of posts this summer because I had absolutely nothing to do so I could browse the forum any time of the day or night, but I imagine my post count will now drop significantly as I'll be working an 8-5 job Monday through Friday.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
pbrooke said:
I was really starting to accumulate a whole lot of posts this summer because I had absolutely nothing to do so I could browse the forum any time of the day or night,
that is me in a nutshell. :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
They don't have computers at GE ?

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Your dad got any connects at GE in Decatur AL? If he does tell him a recent Mech Engr grad is seeking employment and would love for an opportunity at GE.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
They don't have computers at GE ?

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He's a first year intern... he'll be too busy sweeping the floors, washing the lab coats, getting the lunch orders, and cleaning the pocket protectors. He won't even see a computer until his third year as an intern. :wink: :wink:

Seriously, congrats on the position and best wishes on college.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. 8)
I got a computer today. But, at least for the time being, I'm going to keep it completely work-related and maybe browse the planet on my phone whenever I have nothing else to do.

Hatfield, the division of GE I'm working for has only been officially owned by GE for less than two months now, so my dad doesn't really know anyone anywhere else within the company. Sorry about that, and congratulations on graduating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts