Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an 1988 trooper for about a year now with little to no problems. Recently my trooper hasn't wanted to start up, it turns over with that RRRRRRR sound but doesn't fire up? I've replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor wires and the fuel relay. I can hear my fuel pump working as well.
After doing some tests on everything I've noticed that I'm not getting any spark. Could it be my ignition coil? Maybe my igniter? If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Could be. What test did you perform to determine no spark?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested the spark from the distributor cap and then check the spark coming out of the ignition coil. I used a light tester.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Is your rig fi ??? If you have a book you can find the resister test on the coil itself. I'm not sure if theres a test for the pickup in the dist. Most likely there's a given amount of resistance as well. It could be either one so test carefully. Sucks to throw money at it...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The distributor has two basic jobs.
A. Generates the low voltage trigger signal to the ECM.
B. Routes the high voltage pulse from Coil to the correct spark plug via the cap and rotor.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Fuel injection... It's an 88 I wasn't sure if it was carbed or not. That would change the properties of the dist. a little I think. Where able to test the coil ??

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Check your engine relay under the fusebox..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts