Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my original OEM springs after 133K miles. They've become rather bouncy and downright annoying.

I would like to upgrade to a set of firm springs that can bear more weight than the stockers as I do carry heavy loads in my Passport from time to time.

I see lots of conflicting info about the OME springs on the net. In general it looks like I'll get a lift when I change to OME springs, but what I wonder is how much lift I'll get. Some sites say that I'm looking at a 3" lift, and others say 1" lift with the same model spring.

I don't have manual hubs on my Passport so I'm wary about lifting too much and putting extra wear on my CVs. I don't mind a little lift, but I figure a 3" lift might cause me some trouble with having to crank the T-bars, flip the BJs and re-align the front end. I take it I would need longer shocks for the rear as well?

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Unless the rear end is sagging, I'm going to suggest something else: replace and upgrade your shocks. For carying heavier loads, a spring upgrade can certainly help, but so can a set of air-bags in the rear springs.

If you aren't actually in need of more ground clearance, I think that you'll be happier with the stock ride height. I have gained several inches of lift by swapping springs and adding spring spacers, but that isn't the best option for everyone.

If you are determined to get springs, you can get the lower of the OME springs for a "more mild" lift. I'd guess 1.5" - someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can also swap in some 92-02 Trooper springs for an even milder lift.

So, spend some money on shocks first. My bet is that you'll like them and the change that you get with just a set of shocks.

-Tad

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sagging a teeny bit, and I'm running a set of brand new Monroe Sensa Tracs, but I still find the rear really soft.

If I sit on my rear bumper (and I only weigh 152lbs) my car drops about at least a 1/2 inch. To me that means that the rear coils are in really bad shape. I guess that is what NYC potholes do to a car! :)

The stock ride height has been fine for me, but I wasn't sure if there were stiffer and more durable springs out there that were recommended over the OEM parts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.