Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY!

Time to start talking about the spring deal in the UNF!

UNF = Uwarry Big Woods! :D

Anyone up for maybe a weekend in May this time?

Somebody feed me some prospective dates and I'll (or the mods can) start a poll.

Cheers,

·
Registered
763 Posts
The earlier the better. I missed the Oct run, plus I get cabin fever in the winter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live about 3 miles from Uwharrie in Troy, I have to admit I had no idea it was that much of a deal, I had used my lifted Geo Tracker in the past and ATV's and Motorcycles but never really tried anything like you guy's speak of. I may be a resource to anyone needing local info so feel free to email me if you like, I may try it this year, hey sounds fun, Darrell

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
LTC Don said:
IT's AWN!!!!!
Yep... IT'S OFFICIAL!!!

--- And I've already been ribbed (or was that challenged?) about the fact that there will probably be 10+ pages of pre-Uwharrie conversations over there at The Wire's Trail-Runs Forum. ( : - P )

Interested? - CLICK HERE!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im sure ill be going to the URE several time this spring and summer. If my trooper isnt running by then am I allowed to bring the dodge?? :wink:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely.

In fact, some guy named Aaron over at the 'Wire (http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu) actually has an honorary ISUZU Dodge Ram - no joke. :lol:

Cheers,

·
Registered
763 Posts
88GOLDTROOPER, you're welcome to attend. Just bring the hip boots if you stay around the campfire at night.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll check my schedule and let you guys know.

Cheers,
Con

P.S. Question, is there an airport near by? Checking options. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For large scale commercial access, then there would be Charlotte-Douglas International in well, Charlotte :D .

I know there is also a small airport next door to the UNF in Stanly County (Albemarle), and there is also one in Montgomery County (the county UNF is in) - at Star.

There is also an airport at Pinehurst/Southern Pines (Moore County) that MAY have part-time commercial service, that's where all the golfers fly into when the Tour comes through, lotsa high $$$ private jets there.

Stanly County and Moore County airports all within an hour of UNF. Charlotte prolly about an hour and a half.

There is also an airport below Asheboro, about 45 minutes from UNF, but don't believe they have commercial service.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KHBI

http://www.airnav.com/airport/43A

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KVUJ

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCLT

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSOP

HTH

Cheers,

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks. Much more info than I expected! Thanks.

Con

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have owned our trooper since new but have never lived any wear were we needed to modify it to go offroading and dont have the time to build it upbefore we come. Do you think if we come we could hich a ride in the back seat of someone elses trooper. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm new to four wheeling, but ever since I bought my Trooper late last year, I hit the woods everytime that I get the chance. Obviousy, this run in North Carolina is a big event and I would love to attend. Here's the question...I run a '91 Trooper II 2.6 manual trans, 30x9.50 tires, with a few engine upgrades, but stock drivetrain. (open diffs, stock axles, u-joints, etc.) Will I be able to hold my own through most of the terrain? I don't want to drive for 6 to 8 hours only to be drug through everything on a tow strap. I'm sure I have enough driving experience, but will my 'zuzu hold up on the trails? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been to UNF many times with the 'crew' - in a bone stock 1991 Trooper.

YES

STOCK 'ZU's will do quite fine.

In fact, I'll say that running UNF a couple/few times is the perfect place to cut new "four-wheelin' teeth" with a great group of people to learn from.

JUMP IN AND JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!! :D

8)

The only 'improvements' I've done to my Trooper is to add the 15x7 ISUZU 'snowflake' rims with 32" tires. The other two-three times I ran UNF I had the stock 15x6 alloy rims with standard 235/75 tires - with no lift and managed to run the Daniel trail both ways - quite challenging, but fun 8)

Yes, there will be a couple of trails that taking the bypass will make more sense for new people, but usually in those spots, people can get out and watch the more experienced people take the harder lines.

Great Learning Opportunity :!: :!: :!:

Truthfully, the first year we (wife and I) went, by the time it was over, my steering wheel had permanent finger impressions, as did the dash on the passenger side - a couple of times I thought my wife was going to rip the overhead grip off the roof - but after all was said and done, (at least) I had a new level of respect for both what I could do and what my truck could do as well - with open diffs at that - and the friends we made will last a lifetime :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I've been thinking very hard about this trip. I'd like to know all of the details before I decide to go or not.
First of all, I'm new to wheeling. I've never been on any kind of trip like this. Only local trails with local buddies. You all seem like some good 'ole boys, though. I'm gonna be coming up from Alabama, so I want to make sure the trip is worth it.
If I'm able to make it, it'll be Friday morning. What does these days consist of? Waking in the a.m. and hitting the trails, picnicing, and wheeling on into the p.m.? Going to eat dinner and then getting together around the campfire for some tall tales? (I don't know what to expect.)
I'll be running a '91 Trooper II 2.6 manual trans. on 30x9.50 mudders. Some engine upgrades, but stock ride heigth. (unless I can afford a lift before the trip)
Anyway, I'm ready to reserve a site, I just want a little more info on it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Hey Gang!

I just thought I'd post-up with a little ISUZUwharrie news…

Here's what the camping situation looks like right now:

In order to insure that our group doesn't disturb any of out fellow campers, it would be a major help if we could get sites 35 and 36… particularly #35, since it is so darn close to the main gathering site (#37).

In addition to those that are indicated, someone has reserved all of the tent sites (46, 47, 48, & 49), but I honestly don't know whether or not it's someone from our group. [*Shrug*]

OH! - And for those of you that started a pool on how many pages of Uwharrie conversations there would be this time around, over at 4x4Wire… We're up to page eight right now, and still going strong! :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.