Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Spring 2018 Uwharrie Pics, Vids and stories

8K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  Van 
#1 ·
For those of you who have posted some vids and pics, nothing personnel, it's just customary to start a new thread so it's easier to find... I'll try to copy and paste here, otherwise y'all might be able to move it here.

superswire said:
Just wanted to say we had a great time. Showed up Friday night and went straight to it. Big shootout to Lorenzo in his sick sas rodeo for taking the lead on our first run along with Matt in his venerable 1st gen trooper and me in my little 99 rodeo.The three of us went on a gorgeous night run through super sticky and sometimes greasy nc clay. I'm not sure about Matt but I heard Lorenzo yell and I couldn't contain myself either. Wooohooo!!! It wasn't so treacherous you couldn't make obstacles, but enough that you would get slung side to side in the slippery goo. It was better than a moonlight roller coaster ride because we had three manual transmissions and the trails mostly to ourselves. Almost back to the forest road, I heard a metallic clang from under my truck like someone threw a handful of change at it. Everything seemed to be working fine so we continued on. After a few twists and turns, we felt a clunk from the front end. I stopped and realized my alignment shims had somehow fell out and my control arm was just slapping around. Lorenzo went back like a BOSS and found the shims on the trail. I put them back in cursing the alignment shop and we headed back to camp. (Thanks Lorenzo and Matt for your patience) arriving back to camp we met up with the others who showed up, Alex, Melissa and friends, had a snack and got some sleep. Breakfast in the woods Saturday morning, visiting neighbors Jerry and Van and Paul and his son showed up in his awesome sas 1st gen trooper. We head out with Van himself shotgun with Lorenzo to video document our shenanigans, Paul, Blaine and myself to tackle Dickey Bell. Watching Paul and Lorenzo play wasn't enough so I gave it my all and made it to the top. Blaine opted to meet back up with us at the other end. After that, we met up with Alex, Melissa and friends in their 2nd gen rodeos and finished the trail to meet up with Andrew and Blaine and convoy up the back way to the top of Daniel. We had some serious fun, a flat tire, a crushed rocker, a dented door, a few skidplates and crossmembers scraped up, but we all made it and had some laughs. After relaxing and taking in the awesome view from.the top of the mountain, we head back down to camp and started to make some dinner. We made sausage and peppers, burgers, hobo packets, an awesome cobbler from Wayne and van. We didn't plan well so I hope everyone at least found something they could choke down amongst our meager assortment and we hope to make dinner much better in the fall !!! During dinner Joe D showed up (always a good time to see joe and his amazing four legged friends) and yes we DID enjoy a nice taste of whiskey for Mark !!! I have to say I will always feel like such a newbie compared to the stories that I get to hear around the campfire from these dudes. Everyone in this group has been friendly and hospitable beyond words to me and not to sound cliche, but it's true, we are a rare breed. A hodge podge with a common love for our vehicles you don't see so many of anymore. I gotta say, I dig the Isuzu world haha. Lorenzo and myself with any riding shotgun of course took an evening ending cruise through the woods under a clear sky and super bright moon then on to get some rest. Sunday a.m. waking up, most of us packed up and just got ready to head home. After bidding safe travels to everyone at camp, Amy and I head over to the outpost for a biscuit (can't be at uwharrie without getting at least one outpost biscuit). We decided to go check out the gatekeeper ledge of daniel and got quite a show from a few jeeps one of whom snapped an axle and a god Sonoma with a sad whom ripped the front of his transfer case to pieces rendering him 2wd and reverse only. He had to back up all the way from the gatekeeper ledge to the main road where his trailer was. After the show we took a cruise up falls dam to the soup bowl and then back to the outpost to air up and head back to reality. All in all it was a smaller group, but enjoyed every minute of it thanks to an awesome bunch of people. Huge thanks to everyone who came, blessings to everyone who couldn't make it and looking forward to everyone hopefully coming back it the fall. Rock on planetisuzoo !!!
MrDunge said:
Supers I couldn't have said it better myself. The food u guys did was off the charts and enough to feed the whole gang of us, I thought you guys knocked it out the park. I promised a link to all the videos and pictures I took and here it is. Bunch of pictures and like 7 or so good videos of you guys killin it. Hopefully it's to everyone's liking.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... z31300VV5j
paulevans76 said:
Wrote out a whole big thing and then accidentally closed the window before sending. Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone - loved wheeling with everyone from the more stock rigs who had to really put on a show to get through some of the spots, to the bigger dawgs, and a big thanks to Van and Lorenzo and everyone who helped spot or pull cable when I got stuck and tried to either rip the tree down or my winch/bumper/frame off :blackeye: Ran out of talent quick when I had to pick my own line. And next time I'll make sure my locker is actually locking before I hit the harder stuff (just needed a bit of cable adjustment and was good to go). I had no real carnage other than losing a rear bumpstop somewhere. Hopefully I didn't bottom out my shock after that but we'll see.

So I consider our little day trip a big success - nothing really broken, got to hear a Jerry story, got to hang with everyone for a bit, beautiful freakin' day, lots of cool rigs running around, and my son Ben had a very exciting time (he can't wait to go hit the trail again).

Thanks all - hopefully we can camp next time too.

#6 ·
Thanks Van!

#7 ·
My bad Van. I didn't see a thread started for pics and stories. Thank you so much for taking the time to not only start a proper thread, but copy our stuff over.

#8 ·
superswire said:
My bad Van. I didn't see a thread started for pics and stories. Thank you so much for taking the time to not only start a proper thread, but copy our stuff over.
No sweat, I posted after you guys did. Mucho Grass for putting on the group dinner on short notice to you, Alex, wives and friends. :thumbup: :thumbup:

On to some more vids...

[BBvideo 560,340:jpgozlng]https://youtu.be/ND3kphLlkp8[/BBvideo]

#13 ·
Thank you once again for all the hospitality and the family reunion atmosphere! Though my trip was quick and my visit brief, I really enjoyed seeing old friends (using "old" as a complement, Jerry) and good conversation. No wheeling for me this time since all the family's Troopers are ailing, but our faithful little 2wd P'UP at least represented the Isuzu spirit. The big dinner was off the charts! The burgers, smoked sausage stew, steak, desserts, and companionship was great. Thank you for letting me participate!

I look forward to the fall for more fellowship and some wheeling, if we can get a Trooper back in service. Joe D, you're in our prayers. Blessings to all.

beater (Jan)

#14 ·
Van said:
[BBvideo 560,340:31in9493]https://youtu.be/ydTk43iHzC4[/BBvideo]
You could have at least ran the video til I made it over lmao......however as long as it took me u probably would run out tape. Definitely looking at different tires for the fall run.

#20 ·
So damn good driving and spotting we have there!

Blayne, ya need some tires with some bite and next time I'm sure you can power that little trooper over just like Kris did.
I think you're missing one video though. Didn't you get a side shot of my truck finishing the exit on top of dickie bell?
I thought ya had the tire lifting last 20 seconds or so.

Thanks Van for the role of playing photographer and videographer. Its always nice to see the suspension work from the outside.
We really had a good run without any major issues. Surprised truly. Not even a busted hub.
Just one punctured tire for the lot of us.

I'll try to pull my photos down and post up the good ones with a link to the gallery when I get a chance.
The Zu crowd is getting thinner and thinner these days. Next time, we need to encourage a few more people who are hesitant to go to come out. There are so many more bypasses than their ever was before for the moderate to mild style of rig.

#21 ·
I will look for it. I'm sure I have it and it got lost in the mix somehow. I totally agree. I was telling willie the same thing just a couple days ago. Also need a set of manual hubs the left front axle got kinda chewed up. Probably replace the axle to. Also I decided I want to put a front locker on it and check the rear LSD to make sure it's ok. I'm still proud of how it performed though esp for it being pretty much stock other than a few engine mods. I also really appreciate you guys being patient and letting me tag along. Really good group of guys yall are, haven't felt that kind of comradeship since the service.

#22 ·
Here's a few pics.
I'll try to cobble together a youtube video eventually.

Damn good lookin group right there!

Proof Paul does indeed wheel not just type on the planet. :albino:

The flexxxxxxx :mrgreen:

Jerry putting the Zu crew to work.

Kris 'drive it like it stole your lunch money' way of getting the open/open rodeo up and over.

Really was a good day to hang out at the top of Daniel and just relax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.