Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this might be a dumb question but should I see electricity running through my spark plug wires? I swapped my cables and watched it in the dark and now and then I can see a stream of electricity run down the wires. Sometimes just a little glow here and there. I've had issue trying to get it to run smoothly and I'm eating gas pretty good. Feels like bad timing or missing. ??? Any clues as to what this is? I'm clueless .... Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
jon90troop said:
Ok this might be a dumb question but should I see electricity running through my spark plug wires? I swapped my cables and watched it in the dark and now and then I can see a stream of electricity run down the wires. Sometimes just a little glow here and there. I've had issue trying to get it to run smoothly and I'm eating gas pretty good. Feels like bad timing or missing. ??? Any clues as to what this is? I'm clueless .... Thanks guys.
That's a smart question. Ideally, you should see nothing.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
A little corona discharge isn't too unusual.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
That is a misfire/crossfire. You have old bad plug wires or really cheap new ones. The only other thing that would cause this on otherwise good wires is a very bad or no connection at the plug causing such high resistance that going through the insulation is an easier path.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks. I guess it's time for some better wires. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
There's several good ones. The basic ngk from a parts store are good.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks shooter. Ill look into those. I had some new duralast ones and changed them out with some high performance ones from another truck I have. They looked good but maybe not.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have used a lot of brands and I can say for certain that MSD is junk. I have had one set cause a severe misfire in short order and another set that electrocuted me when adjusting timing right out of the box. When I switched to cheap Autolite stock replacements the problem went away. Now the kicker is I have an MSD set that is 10 years old and they are still good, and running on my Trooper after running on my S-10, but I crimped them myself. So either they suck at crimping or quality has dropped drastically in the last 10 years.

If your going stock replacement then NGK is great. If your going for performance than I would go with Magnecor, Moroso or Performance Distributors.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I found a surprising bargain at O-Reiley's.
wires.JPG

Only 27 dollars.

And they actually do have a wire wound around the core ! (Some that claim to, do not. I bought an expensive set one time, that said on every panel on the box that it had a wire wound around the middle. Only to find that they were just plain carbon/fiberglass core. Nothing more.)

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! Thanks for the info guys. I think ill check orielys for those wires. I'm also going ngk platinum for plugs. Getting rid of those champions that don't seem to be much of a champion :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts