Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents I took a 2.6 head to the machine shop the other day but never noticed that there are what appears to be hardened inserts in the aluminum head that the spark plugs screw into. One is missing and must have come out with the plug which was thrown out. Anyone know what size these things are or where I can source one?

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
Time-Sert steel inserts are used to repair spark plug holes in aluminum heads.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time-Sert steel inserts are used to repair spark plug holes in aluminum heads.
Awesome do you know what size to get? Guy at the machine shop made it sound like he did not know what size to get. Are all spark plug holes the same diameter? Probably a stupid question but obviously they all need to be the same. Maybe I will have to have them do all 4?

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
‘89 Isuzu Pickup, 2.3L (one owner)
19 Posts
If the insert was a previous Heliocoil or similar, check to see if the threads are still good in the block. If so, you might be able to identify what size tap was used, and from that, what size heliocoil to replace it with. Since I’ve only installed one of these once in my life (‘68 VW Beetle), I just don’t know much about their variety in thread size.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
A machine shop doesn't have a tap or a thread gauge to check an existing hole? Not much of a machine shop. It's not only thread, but length.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He did my last engine and he has the best reputation around here. Probably more my misunderstanding of what he was asking me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts