Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Have to remove spare tire to get my 96Trooper in garage--not because of trash--due to trailer with motorcycles being in front. Has anyone run across something I can do with the rear spare mount?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
If you are speaking of putting it in and out of the garage, mounting it on top is out. So either mount it on the grille or put it in the cargo area.

Would it work if you backed in?

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You could mount it on the side:

That may or may not go over well with your wife, if she sees it as an attractive vehicle instead of a utility one... I'm pretty sure that mine would laugh and me and roll her eyes if I suggested mounting a spare on the side.

-Tad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:shock: hey guys! you really do care. Don't want to mount a tire on old mount--will put on top when I go deer camping, etc.

Thought I had seen on a thread where a guy had fabricated a five gallon can/jack mount that took the place of the tire mount hardware.

Anyway...there are two hexhead bolts on the right holes of my mount and two weird, rounded bolts with serations on the outside of the bolt head on the left holes.
Anyone ever taken these off?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Winchester said:
Anyway...there are two hexhead bolts on the right holes of my mount and two weird, rounded bolts with serations on the outside of the bolt head on the left holes.
Anyone ever taken these off?
Those are the two that you need to hammer a socket onto to remove. They can be replaced with normal bolts if you decide to reinstall the carrier.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Yep, I have. I used a sears bolt out kit.

They worked like a charm. I've used them in several situations since. I highly recommend them.

They are not needed in this situation though. As Tad said before, just use a socket that's just a bit too small and beat it on with a hammer and take it right out.

Or get the bolt out kit and do it like I did.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.