Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just bought a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers in a 255/85-R16 (33") on stock steelies. They fit wonderfully under the fenders, but when mounted on the spare tire carrier they block the key hole for the rear door. Not a probem for the fancy~shmancy types with power locks :wink: but I can't get n without taking off the spare. Mounting the spare on the roof is out, I barely fit in the parking deck at work as it is. Hadn't been a roblem untill now as I still had the OE spare mounted and had been just crossing fingers to avoid a flat :shock:

My question is has any body had luck modifing the stock carrier to make a 33" fit...it loks like I might be able to rotate the tire to the side and drill a new hole for the bolts, but I was hoping someone had some pictures for guidance ...
TIA Erik

·
Registered
30 Posts
i think it would be better to get an extensoing made for your mount and make it stick out from your rear door a few more inches. not sure if they make them for isuzus, but they have them for wranglers. find out who makes them for wranglers and see fit hey have them for your truck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robhasarodeo said:
i think it would be better to get an extensoing made for your mount and make it stick out from your rear door a few more inches. not sure if they make them for isuzus, but they have them for wranglers. find out who makes them for wranglers and see fit hey have them for your truck.
I thought about it... but adding more leverage, you'd have to move it out ~3", to the already heavier spare seems like a good way to tweak the door out of alignment and I'd rather not to it. Thanks for the thought though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
add remote locking to the rear door, plenty of kits out there that could be used. Either keep the existing keyhole as backup or delock it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tad said:
I'd be VERY surprised if your 95 didn't have power locks already. Do the other doors lock/unlock with the key? If not there is a relay down in the driver's side foot well. It may be disconnected or dead.
Let us know.
-Tad
I've never looked to tell the truth, but since I've owned it there's been nothing to convince me that it might have power locks. No other doors unlock... hmm :? maybe I'll take off the door panel and look it should be fairly obvious if there's some solenoid/actuator there.

This particular one does seem to be a "stripper" model. No fender flares, soft cover on the spare, manual shift/windows etc. the only option it has is A/C. The production date is 12/94 if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I'm not *the* definitive source of information, but I've never seen or heard of a 2nd gen Trooper without power locks. Power windows, AT, moonroof, two tone paint, etc were options but power locks seem to be the standard.

The flares were a year thing. 1995.5 and later had flares, 1992 to 1995.5 had no flares.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but if you can't get to the lock, how would you get to the door handle if it was unlocked? Isn't the handle right below the lock? If the tire is blocking the lock, then it would stand to reason the tire would be blocking the handle as well.

Anyway, here's an elaborate ideal... remove the mount from the door, weld up a new steel bumper and incorporate a swing out spare tire mount on the bumper. Not an easy fix but doable.

Leland

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but if you can't get to the lock, how would you get to the door handle if it was unlocked? Isn't the handle right below the lock? If the tire is blocking the lock, then it would stand to reason the tire would be blocking the handle as well.
-except tires are round and it was just the very edge of the tire blocking the lock, the tire curved away enough to get at the handle
Anyway, here's an elaborate ideal... remove the mount from the door, weld up a new steel bumper and incorporate a swing out spare tire mount on the bumper. Not an easy fix but doable.
The bumper idea I like but time and cash constrain me for the moment...

I'd be VERY surprised if your 95 didn't have power locks already. Do the other doors lock/unlock with the key? If not there is a relay down in the driver's side foot well. It may be disconnected or dead.

Tad- I checked the fuse box/relay, and while there is a "spot" for both a fuse and reay on the box there is NO wiring behind either of them...I'll be at Uhwarrie if you want to document this Isuzu oddity :wink:

In the meantime I was able to swing the tire up on one of the bolts enough to clear the door lock and drill a new hole to bolt through and secure it, not the classiest fix ever but it works. Ill take pics if I can ever find my camera

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 95 trooper has no power anything. Not locks, windows, nothing. It also came with the manual trans and the soft cover spare. Maybe some type of base model.

As far as your tire fitment goes...What diameter is your tire? I have had no issues with a 33x12.5 on my tire carrier.

Sorry, no pics of handle though.
Pic:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
langforg said:
My 95 trooper has no power anything. Not locks, windows, nothing. It also came with the manual trans and the soft cover spare. Maybe some type of base model.

As far as your tire fitment goes...What diameter is your tire? I have had no issues with a 33x12.5 on my tire carrier.

Sorry, no pics of handle though.
Weird, mine looks almost exacly like that. Tires are 255/85-16 (33.06X10.03), are you running 285/75's (32.83X11.22)...I wonder if that is what the difference is, I'm not missing the key hole by much, it's almost as if when I get a few more miles on the tires and rotate them it might fit again... shrug...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Me too. If I can line up the lugs right I might sqeeze by. This sucks I just bought a highlift. Now if I lock it up I have to pull it out over the seat. Still looking into less backspaced rims also. Should fix both problems. Does your front tire come really close to the swaybar and front bumper mounts at full turns?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
HOLEY HELL! EHess Your name is only Two letters off from my name. (If i am correct) You spell your name Erik Hess right? And well mine is Eric Hass dam that close. 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.