Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has moved the spare from the tailgate mount to the underside mount? My tailgate mounted spare always gets in the way of the hitch. I have built an extened ball mount for my hitch, but that greatly reduces the tounge weight allowed on the hitch. I'm not too worried about what the tailgate will look like after I remove the tire mount, I'm more concerned about acquiring the hardware to re-mount it under the truck. Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, etc to either mount it on top or in the rear cargo area? A cheap pickup truck spare tire mount for a truck bed would be gravy, easy to move if you need the space and always warm and ready to use. That last bit is important up here in Minnesota. Nothing quite sucks as fishing one's ice clad frozen tire from the underbody mount and finding the sucker really low.

Ah, home sweet home.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If it's a Trooper you can forget it, there's a gas tank in the way, I can't say for the Rodeo's but i would assume the same for them as well. If you want to move it it can really only go either up on top, or in the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
If its a rodeo its easy. My spare is under the body. As long as it isnt any bigger then stock it will fit. Just find one at a junk yard with the undercarriage spare and get the mount off of it. Should just bolt right up. You might also need the crank for it if you dont have it under the back seat.

Also you would need the trailer hitch receiver thats made for it, the one that curves around the spare. If you have the straight bar receiver the spare wont fit.

Wish mine had the door mounted spare but at the moment its not worth the trouble or expense for me to convert it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if it's a first gen then there is a gas tank there. under body is out, opt for a roof mount or make a bracket to support it in the back. as for a second gen, i guess all you would have to do is find the hardware from one that has the under body mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh yeah, I guess I should have mentioned it's a 2000 Rodeo. Sorry bout that. The problem I didn't think about until now, is my existing (straight) receiver hitch won't allow the spare to go into it's little cubby hole under the truck. Hmmm, perhaps I'll comeup with a roof mount or inside mount. Oooh, how about a front mount like the old Land Rovers! How cool would that be (or not)

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
This is just a thought…
But since one of you (mmhamm) has a rear door spare, and wants an under-body spare - and the other (Gizmo42) has an under-body spare, but wants a rear door spare…

;)

The biggest hurdle to doing the swap would probably be getting those funky one-way bolts off of the rear door mount (they are designed specifically to make removal a real PITA in order to hinder theft)… Other than that, it sounds like a match made in Heaven to me.

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Personally, I do not like the roof mount idea for a daily driver. The drag has got to hurt the gas milage at highway speeds (this from someone driving a brick). Besides, it would mess with the nice lines of the Rodeo.

Some Jeeps have the spare mounted inside on the left hand side just behind the wheel well. If you don't mind losing the interior space, it may be possible to do the same thing in a Rodeo. You could look for one of these Jeep mounts in a junk yard, although the bolt patterns may not match. However, the mount off the back of a Trooper probably would work just as well. You'd just have to find a suitable support on the Rodeo to bolt it to. Several members are parting out Troopers, so you probably could pick up a mount real cheap with very little effort.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
mmhamm said:
The problem I didn't think about until now, is my existing (straight) receiver hitch won't allow the spare to go into it's little cubby hole under the truck.
Thats the reason I had to change mine. PO had welded a modified straight receiver off of something else to the frame. So I had no spare until I cut it off and got the right one.

I thought about leaving it and doing a top mount spare but I've never liked them. Dont think it looks very good on a daily driver (works on a lifted trail rig though) and I'm too lazy to deal with having to do that much work if I need to change the tire :roll:

If you do a top mount spare you can bend up some sheet metal to make an air foil in front of the roof rack to help direct the air over the tire. Should help cut down on wind resitance.

Another option is do a lift on your rodeo. Then you can use a drop reciever and get enough room between the hitch rear mounted spare.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes they were

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the ideas The pic of the first gen rodeo did give me an idea, though. I will have to check into fabricating a plate to offset the spare to one side or the other. I'd have to watch the window clearance and the bumper.. oh to hell with it, I'll just throw the thing out. I'll never need it, right? :wink:

Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.