Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an intermittent starter issue. Sometimes it is perfect, but others I just get a click for the first few key turns, and then it starts fine. I think this is less frequent now that it is super hot summer in Houston compared to the spring time. The truck has a new battery, and all the connections are in good shape.

This inconsistency is not at all reassuring, thus I want to go ahead and replace the starter.

From what I have researched, the starter replacements come with the solenoid already mounted, which is good because I believe it is the contacts in the solenoid that sometimes cause the clicking and failure to work correctly.

I can order a complete replacement starter from several sources on Amazon. The vendors include DB Electrical, Total Power Parts. There is also one from Bosch, but they are out of stock with no predicted date for delivery. IN the photos they all look the same, but the prices do range from about $70 to about $125. Is there anyone that ahas any advice regarding which vendor to select, or places other than Amazon to order one?

Here is the one I have sitting in a cart, at about $92. Any thoughts, please.

One more thing to complete the story: I will be paying a friendly, nearby auto shop to do the work to replace this starter. It is simply beyond my capability these days, not to mention my array of tools might be inadequate.

Many thanks for input on this.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Look at rock auto-- they have a lot of name brand choices. You are lucky someone else is putting that starter in. I had to take a motor mount loose and lift the motor with a tractor and boom poll to get mine out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I agree with Rock Auto. You can get a new AC Delco there for just a few dollars more. I did get a new Bosch for my Amigo a few years ago on Amazon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I see that Rock Auto has the AC Delco unit, for about $120 plus shipping and tax, which will make it about $140 at my door. That has become my current sourcing plan.

I did try my local O'reilly's store when this whole issue first began in the late winter time frame, and they said they could not get this starter. I can ask them again, and will also check with Auto Zone.

Now I am just hoping that this starter replacement is really what is needed to make the starting remain fully reliable.
I can't think of anything to do but give it a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the AC Delco from Rock Auto. I did find that O'reilly's could supply a starter, but it was going to be nearly $200. I am now awaiting the delivery of the box from Rock Auto.
Here's Hoping!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The truck has a new battery, and all the connections are in good shape.
Are you sure the connections at the starter are all in good shape? You could probably save a bunch of money by removing and cleaning the connections before you shoot the parts canon at it.

Intermittent clicking, that changes with heat is a red flag that is more likely than not a bad connection. While having a mechanic change the starter may fix the problem, the problem might have been a bad connection at the starter, and him removing and cleaning the connection was the REAL solution, not the new starter.

Just trying to save you a few $$ if it's just a bad connection at the starter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@02Axiompower I appreciate your thoughtful suggestion, and I understand the sequence of testing that it embodies. There was no obvious issue with the connections involved, and I did have the shop go ahead and do the new started install.

Since the signs pointed at needing a new starter, even though it wasn't exactly fully confirmed, this replacement now gives me a good bit of peace of mind that the truck will start and not leave me stranded in a parking lot. It does now seem to start much more readily and emphatically than it did with the old starter. I am reasonably certain the old starter was original, and had lasted for 198k+ miles - so I don't know how much longer it might have struggled along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts