Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the expandable foam as sound deadening material?
I'm thinking in the body panels rear and the posts and roof of a 1st gen Amigo?
I almost at that point...!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have used the spray foam before, the main gain from using it is filling otherwise hollow panels for rigidity. There was significant deadening attained form the filling of the panels, but I would cover the foam with deadening material as well for ultimate noise elimination. I did really pack that stuff in and it considerably made it heavier so if it's mass you're after, it will work well, just be sure to use enough of it for the space being filled.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are thinking of using the expanding foam (great stuff or the like) try and use it in areas that wont get wet. If its in an area that can get wet water will get in between the foam and metal and get stuck there, which can lead to serious rust damage. Of course if you already have rust damage and dont care then go for it!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
As basic said, the foam can allow too much water to get trapped and cause rust. Best option is to only use it in hard to reach places and use something like dynamat where you can. Instead of buying dynamat ($$$) though, go to home depot and look in the roofing section. You can get self adhesive ice & water membrane which works just as well for much less money.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good points all...Thanks for the 411 and input. The trapping of water is a definite problem that
I want to prevent. Fortunately no rust! I plan on keeping it that way! 8)
basic posted " try and use it in areas that wont get wet."
Gizmo posted: "only use it in hard to reach places.."
It makes sense and I agree only for hard to reach places AND up high, for example
in the roof panel just behind the headliner.
Now I gotta say the stuff from the roofing section of Home Depot is a hell of an idea instead of dynamat.
I'll check that out today. Doesn't everybody go to Home Depot on Sunday? :lol:
Mediamonkey11 posted:"...it is filling otherwise hollow panels for rigidity.
There was significant deadening attained form the filling of the panels,"
I'll keep this up until it is "as tight as a frogs ***! "
Thanks all...I am taking pics and will post as soon as I learn how.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ive done very similar sound deadening to what you've described including the peal n seal sound deadener.

Great stuff does wonders. Peal n Seal works well for not being designed for sound deadening but after trying "Second Skin" a deadener designed for that purpose, its still a pretty big difference. But it all depends on your budget, the hardware store version still helps A LOT.

Another thing i used which made a big difference for road noise is carpet padding. You can get it in big roles for real cheap ~$1 per square foot or less if you find the right place.Roll it out and cut it to fit and spray glue it onto the roof and floor right over top of the metal/deadener you used.

I measured my road noise at different speeds before and after with an SPL meter and if i remember right i averaged about 4-5dbs quieter in the cabin(that is more than cut in half if you didn't already know). With just a bit of foam, peal n seal, and caret padding.

Just a few things to think about! This is definitely worth it when you are done. Goodluck :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
ebgbz said:
As a f/u to my op...I found the following material:
http://www.lobucrod.com/
It seems lijke a most cost effective solution!
Any thoughts or knowledge?
That stuff looks great! & WAY light weight. IF I ever do a full interior restore, that is a must.

~psguardian

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so here's the deal.
I went and got some of the roofing peel and stick...dam it sticks and if it weren't for the
asphalt smell when the surfaces that it is applied to get hot...like all the time here lately, it would be a good solution.
I would rather have the interior smell like a new pair of women's leather slacks than a roof! :lol:
I don't know that price is going to be a problem...I would use the expensive stuff ONLY in critical areas.
So far it seems like the EZ Cool product is what is needed on ALL of the floors, firwall and maybe even the hood.
I'm going to R&R the ingterior anyway...put the stuff down the!
I think that in the fender area between panels maybe a spray on application would be the easiest
Sounds like a plan to me and I'll post again as it progresses!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I was reading hotrod magazine the other day and there was this nice old Impala called the "Impaler". They used plywood as a sound deadener. This was a show car build too! They said nothing beats the sound deadening power of wood. Just a though, cheap too!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cronk said:
I was reading hotrod magazine the other day and there was this nice old Impala called the "Impaler". They used plywood as a sound deadener. This was a show car build too! They said nothing beats the sound deadening power of wood. Just a though, cheap too!
Haha this is completely true too. Alot of spl competitors brace the roof solid with welded steel and layers of mdf.

Always an option lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.