Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I've wanted an Amigo ever since I first saw one as a child in the early 90s. They were still too new and expensive when I was looking for my first car, but that is clearly not the case now. A 94 2WD popped up for sale down the road from me and awakened old memories. It's got some dents and dings, and one cylinder isn't firing, but it could be fun to fiddle with. That's one of the main reasons I'm looking to get it. I want to be able to tinker on a vehicle whenever I have the urge to do something stupid to my current daily driver, a 1993 Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon.

Anyway, before I drop $1,000 on this thing (or convince the guy it's worth less) are there any other places I should be looking around Middle Tennessee for Amigos for sale other than Craigslist or Facebook? They seem to be the only sites for that kind of stuff any more.

I was excited to see there was an active Isuzu forum, and I hope to learn quite a bit here.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Before you buy it, Check crankshaft end play (push - pull crank pulley front to back). It should barely move. If it moves like 1/8" the crank thrust bearings have failed. This makes the block and crank junk. NOT REPAIRABLE.
One dead cylinder is often burnt valves, but can be blown head gasket. Very rarely, it's just valve adjustment, and if you're REALLY lucky, a bad plug or wire. Expect worst case scenario of replacing the head with a Clearwater head @ around 500.00 expenditure with you ding the work. Dennis

Reactions: JoeIsuzu

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,715 Posts
1994 is probably the best year of 1st gen Amigos, but $1,000 is too much for a 3-cylinder Amigo.

Jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you buy it, Check crankshaft end play (push - pull crank pulley front to back). It should barely move. If it moves like 1/8" the crank thrust bearings have failed. This makes the block and crank junk. NOT REPAIRABLE.
One dead cylinder is often burnt valves, but can be blown head gasket. Very rarely, it's just valve adjustment, and if you're REALLY lucky, a bad plug or wire. Expect worst case scenario of replacing the head with a Clearwater head @ around 500.00 expenditure with you ding the work. Dennis
Thanks. I'll make sure to check that play when I look at it again.

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,715 Posts
I was thinking it was a bit much. Everyone is going crazy with used car prices.
My '94 2wd Amigo with a blown head gasket sold for somewhere around $400 (I don't remember, exactly). It even had the rear LSD upgrade.

Jack

·
Registered
622 Posts
You couldn’t find anything that wasn’t ready for the crusher for $1k around here. Used cars are getting expensive. Isuzu’s have become few and far between, it seems. If you like it and it passes DSUZU‘s check, go for it. You might check eBay and other part sources to make sure you can get parts you’d need to get it running. I have trouble finding some things for my much-newer Sport since they made so fewer of them than Rodeo’s.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Actually, depending on condition, $1,000.00 may be a good price. Even WITHOUT the current used car market, the supply of Isuzus has dwindled. I've been "kind of" looking for a 4WD pickup. The only thin I've seen was a total beater - interior trashed, exterior beat up, ugly flat bed, but 3.1 V-6 and they are asking 1200.00 (obviously NOT interested). Amigos always did have a bit of their own following too. Dennis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a little bummed. He decided all of a sudden he didn't want to sell it. I guess I'm back to searching around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts