Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buy a Rodeo and put it out of its misery?
Buy it Friday, strip it, and scrap it Tuesday?240.00%
Buy it Friday, strip it, burn the seat covers, and scrap it Tuesday?120.00%
Buy it Friday, strip it, advertise parts Saturday and scrap it Tuesday120.00%
Stay away, lest Joe Isuzu haunt me to the end of my days.....120.00%

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"To scrap, or not to scrap, that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler to put a dying Rodeo out of it's misery as a Chick Car, or leave it rotting in hopes someone more adventurous and better financed comes along...."

So here's the deal...I've got a lead on a 96ish Rodeo for $500 cash. Engine has a "bad knock" (this from the mechanic selling it). I figure I could easily get a couple hundred worth of parts off of it, and sell the rest for scrap in the $400 range.

So I'm thinking of keeping:
16" alloy rims ($100-150 value and at least 3 of the tires are decent street tires)
Isuzu Rodeo Spare Tire Cover, torn ($5)
Jack kit from under the back seat ($20)
Corner light ($20)
Battery and Misc electrical bits from under the hood ($25)

I haven't opened it up so I can't tell how trashed the interior is beyond the evidence of 20-30 trips to McDonald's and the Hawaiian print seat covers. The radio looks factory (cassette). Body is ok except for the hood which is banged up pretty good. I was hoping for a trailor hitch, but no such luck.

I hate scraping a truck that can move under it's own power, but I'm no mechanic and don't work on cars much beyond the electrical and regular maintenance. I figure I could come up with another box of odds and ends that would be of use down the road with Buster in a spare parts box in the garage. I've got the cash available for a week, but can't spare that much right now for long.

So am I nuts? Am I cursing the memory of Joe Isuzu? Am I not getting enough sleep? (Actually, I KNOW I'm not getting enough sleep, but that's an issue for another forum.)

Let the flames begin...

·
Registered
129 Posts
i would make sure it's really a "bad knock" and not something else easily fixed before scraping. May be an easy fix (timing belt tensioner or something) and you could have a cheap rodeo..

but burn the seat covers regardless.

·
Registered
677 Posts
BURN THOSE COVERS!

But do make sure its not something simple like the tensioner before scraping it. Just because it says Mechanic on the guys door doesn't mean he knows these trucks. A neighbor's truck started knocking really loudly and all it turned out to be was the balancer. Real easy fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts