Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh man.i have a 88 trooper and i just got it alll put back together after the head gasket blew..turned the key.. it wants to start but it back fires alittle. everything is timed right except im not sure if the distributor is in time.its pretty close but how do i get the distributor exact? or what else could it be?please :D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Before anything else you need to know for sure that your ignition is timed right.

Do you have a timing light to check that the ignition is at the right °BTDC? If not go to a parts store and borrow one.

If it's not the timing, then it is likely the fuel/air mixture, or the valve lash. But make sure the ignition timing is dead on before you worry about anything else.

EDIT: Also when you say backfire, do you mean in the exhaust (afterfire) or in the induction (backfire). That helps in figuring out the problem.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
make sure to time the dist off cylinder 4

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
1st you need to make sure the cam is timed right!!!!!!!!!!!! then you can time the dist. The cam needs to be set to the marks on the pulleys and the engine case not the marks on the harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
squatch said:
1st you need to make sure the cam is timed right!!!!!!!!!!!! then you can time the dist. The cam needs to be set to the marks on the pulleys and the engine case not the marks on the harmonic balancer.
Using the search function, you'll find many pics and narratives on how to accomplish this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.