Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mediamonkeys turned out nice. The shape most of them are in you almost need to refinish them. There are some prestine ones out there but I've not run across them. I'd think powder coating would hold up better. I've been thinking about removing the clearcoat and polishing my wheels.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Had the same thing on my mind, I've got two sets that are pretty rough and just watched a beautiful set go out the door on a trooper I sold this weekend.

I've been debating trying the Duplicolor paints or just going to the powder coat shop

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I'd look into stripping the clear on them and polishing them up, i think they would look better that way IMO. powdercoating would be the next best idea as it would look better longer, but a good paint job can look good too. They won't have that "shine" to them though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Here's a 15" wheel painted silver metallic:

Here's a couple of the 16" wheels painted gun metal metallic:

I cleaned, sanded, buffed, cleaned... then painted 2 primer, 3 paint, 2 clear. Let dry for a couple days and then backed in the oven for 40 min. Then waxed.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
littlegray said:
Here's a 15" wheel painted silver metallic:

Here's a couple of the 16" wheels painted gun metal metallic:

I cleaned, sanded, buffed, cleaned... then painted 2 primer, 3 paint, 2 clear. Let dry for a couple days and then backed in the oven for 40 min. Then waxed.
I like this nice job 8)

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Awesome job littlegray! You took the time to do them right!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Both colors look awesome. Great work. Is the paint rattle can? Did you bake your wheels in the oven in your house? If so, was it stinky?

littlegray said:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks! Yes, it is all rattle can. Yes, kitchen oven. Yes, very toxic. I had all the windows open and fans going.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
hmmm, doesn't that ruin the oven for any future use, as in for cooking food?

Why did you bake the wheels? Baked for 40 minutes at what temp?

Got any photos of your pick up with wheels installed?

I think that's enough questions for now.

Thanks!
littlegray said:
Thanks! Yes, it is all rattle can. Yes, kitchen oven. Yes, very toxic. I had all the windows open and fans going.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Does burning food in the oven ruin it? Nope. Neither will cooking some alloy. :)

It hardens the paint faster and seems to make it more durable. I just used the lowest temp 170.

Yes but.... you'll have to watch for my build thread in a week or so for pictures. 8)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well, okay then. Thanks for the info.

A chicken and toxic chemicals are two different things; but you know that.

Years ago I stuck something toxic in an oven. Can't remember what it was. I think I was doing something similar, baking paint. It took weeks for the residue to burn off. Every time I turned on the oven it stank to high heaven. Needless to say I didn't cook anything in the oven till the toxins burned off. Swore I'd never do it again. Now you got me thinking.....

Look forward to the photos.

littlegray said:
Does burning food in the oven ruin it? Nope. Neither will cooking some alloy. :)

It hardens the paint faster and seems to make it more durable. I just used the lowest temp 170.

Yes but.... you'll have to watch for my build thread in a week or so for pictures. 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.