Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Snow?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Hobb3s 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a new guy to this site, and also to 4x4's for that matter. I just picked up my bone stock 93 Rodeo a few weeks ago. For a few reasons, it is a fairly reliable ride with what I am told is a good 4wd system, and my current daily driver would not even make it out of a parking lot with a light dusting of snow. Now I am in the Navy and well be stationed just north of Chicago in Great Lakes over the winter. I was wondering what would be a general consensus for tire/wheel combos and such to help out with the slippery conditions I am bound to run into. I am more attuned to drag slicks and asphalt then Mud and Snow :D but it seems like you guys have a great time getting dirty. Any advice or spots around that area to go play in would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

#2 ·
first off, welcome to the planet! my rodeo did great in the snow, ice was a little tough on mud tires. if you have the money, i'd say get a summer set and a winter set of tires. something like blizzaks i hear are good on ice, if available in the right size you need. other than winter travel, what kind of off roading are you going to be going for? http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=5347 a badlands run. closer to you than me, but i dont know to what extent.

#3 ·
I drive and lived in the snow for 14 years.
Driving to the Mt resorts everyday for 9 years.
I will swear by BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A and have them sipped!
They work A++++++++++ in everything but high water.
I have had them on every 4x4 I have had from isuzu' to chevy's.
And welcome.

#4 ·
Can't go wrong with the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs. I've had them on my Rodeo for two winters in Chicago now, and they are the shiz. I haven't lost traction even once. The are great on ice, snow, and wet roads, quiet at highway speeds, and wear extremely well. I've got almost 30k on them and they look almost new still. Plus at stock size, you can get them from Discount Tire for about $110 each installed.

#6 ·
Some of the folks up-north highly recommend THESE.

Welcome to The Planet!

Cheers!
Smiley

#7 ·
In Chicago Snow is not really a problem. Our roads are very well
plowed except for the heavy snow falls. Usually a day later the roads
are well plowed.

What you may want to look into is a good set of ICE and Rain
capable tires. If you can not do a seperate set of snow tires I would
consider the Dunlops mentioned above.

Watch out for MT tires as they are usually horrible in Ice and Rain. With
the lack of rain channels and sipes. Some people actually get there tires
siped at a tire shop. Sipes are Razor blade type cuts about 1/4" deep that
are sliced into the tire to greatly improve Ice and Rain traction. It offers
the water thousands of extra channels to drain.

What to look for in a good Ice Rain tire; IMO
-Large offset block treads
-Sipes
-A soft durable compound that contains silicone. Silicone compound
are water loving and grip much much better.
-Durable side wall incase you slide into something.

#8 ·
Just get an AT tire with lots of siping, some have more than others. Over the years I have used Pirelli Scorpions ATs, BFG ATs, and Nitto Terra Grapplers, all with good results.

#9 ·
Welcome to the Planet!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My personal recomendation would be like tuner...

BFG A/T KM's, I have them on my truck, and they are excelent in the snow, dirt and some mud, really good on the highway too :twisted:, I wouldn't hesitate to put them on the next vehicle I get

#10 ·
I have General Grabber AT2's on my Trooper and they performed well in snow last winter. They carry a US Snowflake rating, seem to be pretty quiet on road and also work well off-road too (and here in the UK at least are substantially cheaper than BFG AT's!)

#12 ·
I strongly second the nomination for BF Goodrich All Terrains. Excellent tire in all conditions. I personally do not think additional Siping is necessary for the tires, however. They offer excellent traction and I drove over 60k miles on my last truck before I sold it, and my brother had a set last over 80k and had tread left. Can't go wrong with BF goodys.

#13 ·
BF AT KO
BridgeStone Dueler AT REVO
Dunlop Radial rover RVXT
Dunlop Radial rover R/T

those would be my top picks I think.... I've run the RVXTs and can say they do pretty decent all around.. only problem is, they are very suseptable to fast-center-wear if you over-inflate them (for the weight of the vehicle)... I recomend running the rear lower than the front to keep wear even.

#14 ·
siping also keeps the tire cooler and helps them to last longer.
The BFG also carry the snowflake making them a traction tire so no need to chain up when required. :D

#16 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i have the BFG AT on it right now, so i guess i will just stick with those and see how they do. As far was what i want to do other then dealing with the snow and ice while i am up north. I would like a just a general all around 4by. i am from NC, so something i can take out to the mud hole and then go to Uwharrie and tackle some trails is generally what i am aiming for.

Hobbs- its a great summer car, but with a little over 410whp and a mid 11 1/4 mile time on street tires. its more of a weekend crusier/track car,with the way gas prices are :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.