Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated.....

Hi there,

My Amigo 2000 has smoke coming out of the bottom of the truck, the oil was replaced by Joe Doe Shop yesterday. I'm wondering if they had something to do with this.

I'm going to inspect it before it rains but this is just weird.

Also, I felt a few jerks on the truck. I felt three today, specially at low speed. The wheels felt slippery.

Besides that, the car runs smoothly, no weird sound on the engine, no other smoke from the engine and not lights on the ECM.

The smoke is clear, I think, coming from the bottom left back side of the engine block.

I'm grabbing my flashlight and will be back in a while.

Update..............

There is fluid everyfreakingwhere. There is fluid by the front 02 sensor and when it drips into the exhaust pipe it creates the smoke I can see. But there is also fluid all over the "transmission rod" below the transmission box located below the left passenger seat and it is appears to be an active leak.

Could they have done something to my truck? I would like to think is no. I left my friend drive my car for a week and as a favor she took it to a random low end shop for an oil change.

Guys I will appreciate your help,

Frank

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
BE CAREFUL! If it's jerking, sounds like your tranny is slipping if it's an auto, check to see if your trans is leaking, does it smell pretty bad?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
what kind of smell is it? Who ever worked on your car might of graved the exhaust pipe with oily hands and could of caused the smoke coming under the truck

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mediamonkey11 said:
BE CAREFUL! If it's jerking, sounds like your tranny is slipping if it's an auto, check to see if your trans is leaking, does it smell pretty bad?
Tony, they car is automatic and yes, there is fluid below what I think is the transmission box, where the main rod connects.

I couldn't tell you about the smell, I haven't shower today so it could be me. Really, I don't know if it smells bad, what can I compare it to?

Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Metal88 said:
what kind of smell is it? Who ever worked on your car might of graved the exhaust pipe with oily hands and could of caused the smoke coming under the truck
Sal, thanks but there is more than oil stains, it drips.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read that low transmission fluid may create this issue.

I'm getting a fussy feeling... could this been tampered with at the shop???

I will run them over if that was the case.

There are 2 plugs (same size), one is Oil Drain Plug and the other one is Oil Filler Plug(about 2 inches higher and 10 inches away from the Oil Drain Plug).

With the Oil Drain Plug closed, engine off, use an Oil Pump (cost about $12) to pump transmission oil through the Oil Filler Plug (about 2.5 quarts) until oil comes out of the Filler Plug.

Turn engine on (wait for few seconds to have the engine suck the oil up), and pump the transmission oil again (this also takes about 2.5 quarts) until it comes out of the Filler Plug.

Tight the Oil Filler Plug (with the engine on). You are done. Total transmission oil needed will be about 5 quarts. Before you start, you should buy an Oil Pump first.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_do_you_ ... z1N108gQf2

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
When you say "the main rod", do you mean the driveshaft? If that's the case, what color is the fluid? It will be reddish if it's tranny fluid, in which case you've either got a major oops on behalf of the mechanic that changed your oil or you've got transmission issues. DO NOT drive it like it is as your fluid is more than likely low, which is causing the "jerky" feeling off the line at a stop light. Crawl underneath and pinpoint where the fluid is coming from before proceeding further at all!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Associated Pictures

This is the possible leak

Smoke Source

What is this connector? It is wet, but it may be sprayed by the AT fluid leak.

Here is the drain and fill plugs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I can't move my car, so I will put some ATF so I can drive it to my buddy's garage to work on it.

I order the gasket, filter and pan filter.

I found this coupon for Pepboys. Is this something you guys recommend for my Amigo?

Thanks guys,

F

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it ok to mix transmission fluids?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
make sure to check what is the manufactures specs...im not sure what tranny they have but as long as you buy ATF that compatible with the ATF your tranny uses, then you should be fine...by the way if ATF is leaking all over the exhaust, make sure to fix it because it can cause a fire

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Metal88,

Yeah, I'm not driving it like that, I think the leak is on the oil pan.

The specs called for Dextron II, so DEX II an deven IV will do it. I will flush and replace this gasket once I am done fixing my fiancees Jetta.

We have the car woes, even the scooter is broken. But, a penny saved is a penny earned, I will do what I can ( without killing myself...)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
, it's a punctured coolant line from the transmition.

I'm considering using compression fittings and stainless steel tubing to patch it.

Is this crazy? How much work will ilbe to repalce the whole line?

Thanks.

Frank

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Amigo has been sitting around for a few months.

I just got a chance to work on the thing and I found that the transmission fluid leak is in fact through a "gasket" that is secured with a snap ring. Just above where the cooling pipes connect.

The pipes do not leak and the are no other leaks present in the oil pan. I used a bunch of rags to isolate different parts and it seems the leak is in fact through this gasket.

Any help will be greatly appreciate it. How in the world do I remove that snap ring? Will I have to reload the transmission fluid? What's the part?

I have been looking at My Isuzu Parts and I can't find a diagram.

http://www.myisuzuparts.com/

Anyway, thanks a lot Zoo heads

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the answer..

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14344&p=87026&hilit=transmission+snap+ring+leak#p87026

It's the Accumulator Piston Cover Fluid Leak

2002 Isuzu Truck Rodeo LS (4WD) V6-3.2L Copyright © 2005, ALLDATA 8.40 Page 1
Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins
A/T - 4L30E Accumulator Piston Cover Fluid Leak
BULLETIN NUMBER:
SB02-05-S002
ISSUE DATE:
NOVEMBER 2002
GROUP:
TRANSMISSION
4L30E ACCUMULATOR PISTON COVER LEAKAGE
AFFECTED VEHICLES
All Isuzu models equipped with the 4L30E automatic transmission.
SERVICE INFORMATION
Condition:
Some vehicles may experience a transmission fluid leak at the Accumulator Piston Cover.
Possible Cause:
The leak may be due to poor sealing of the accumulator piston cover.
Correction:
To repair this condition, install a new Accumulator Piston Cover following the procedures in this bulletin.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Raise the vehicle using an appropriate lift and secure.
NOTE:
For 2001 and previous models disregard step 2 and proceed to step 3.
2. 2002-Current, loosen the bracket that secures the ATF cooler return line and disconnect the line from the transmission.
3. Remove the accumulator piston cover snap ring using snap ring pliers (Figure 1). The snap ring should be retained for reinstallation.
4. Install special tool J-46260 (Figure 2) and remove the accumulator piston cover. Install the center portion of the tool into the accumulator cover
using a 14 mm wrench (Figure 3). Turn the outer portion of the tool using a center punch/screwdriver (or equivalent) until the cover is removed
(Figure 4)
5. Remove the fuel line/harness-mounting bolt.
6. Install the new accumulator piston cover and original spring using special tool J-38559-A (Figure 5 & 6).
7. Tighten the J-28559-A tool until the new accumulator piston is seated completely (Figure 7). With the tool still in place reinstall the snap ring.
NOTE:
To prevent future leakage or failure the snap ring needs to be installed and secured in the installation groove.
8. Remove the J-38559-A special tool.
9. Reinstall the fuel/line harness-mounting bolt, ATF cooler return line bracket and connect the transmission line.
10. Lower the vehicle and connect the Tech 2. Start the engine and bring up to normal operating temperature.
11. After the vehicle reaches normal operating temperature raise the vehicle and check for any leaks. Check for correct transmission fluid level using
the procedure in the appropriate workshop manual. Be sure to tighten the overfill screw after the proper level is reached.
NOTE:
2002 Isuzu Truck Rodeo LS (4WD) V6-3.2L Copyright © 2005, ALLDATA 8.40 Page 2
If it is necessary to add fluid, USE ONLY DEXTRON III-G or equivalent.
12. Lower the vehicle and clear and remove the Tech 2.
PARTS INFORMATION
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
Use the new labor operation shown.
Labor Time includes administrative time allowance.
WARRANTY CLAIM SUBMISSION INFORMATION
For your convenience please use the information when submitting your warranty claim.
Disclaimer

·
Registered
555 Posts
One thing to remember. Dex IV is SUPPOSED to replace Dex III but Ive been told that it does NOT work in the GM 4L30E transmissions found in many Isuzus.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mallen said:
One thing to remember. Dex IV is SUPPOSED to replace Dex III but Ive been told that it does NOT work in the GM 4L30E transmissions found in many Isuzus.
Thanks< I will use Dexter III only...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet mother of all @#[email protected]#[email protected]#@#~~~!!!

I can't get the Accumulator Piston Cover out, that thing is welded there. I removed the snap ring, and put a 1/2" pipe on the inside hole of the old plastic cover. I pulled, jerked it, and it does not even move.

On one post I read that this thing should've come out after turning the car on for a few minutes. Well, all I got was transmission fluid.

Then, I used the 1/2" pipe wihtout success.

Any suggestions zooheads?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.