Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our 89 Trooper on it's maiden voyage offroad today. The trail has really deteriorated in the last year and would be rated as a 6 or 7 lots of big granite boulders and 2 deep water crossings ( extra deep this year ) and that's where we had trouble, on the 2nd crossing the air pump sucked in water and self destructed. Managed to disassemble and remove vanes and parts and get it freed up so the belt could turn. My question, is there a serpentine belt that can used without the pump or a kit that eliminates the pump? Thanks DAVE

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Someone correct me, and I could check tomorrow but the Rodeo isn't here, but I'm thinking the 91-ish Rodeo 3.1 doesn't have an air pump as standard.
I have a 91 Trooper that was a 2.8 / air [ump and a 91 Rodeo 3.1 that I'm thinking never had an air pump.
I asked the question on the forum why one does and one doesn't, being basically the same engine but didn't get a reply that satisfied the question.
I'll be happy to look tomorrow if need be.
I also know one of the vehicles used a flat idler pulley for the flat side of the belt and the other used a grooved idler pulley due to the way the belt was routed. Let me know if you'd like me to look further, my guess at this time is you'd need the Rodeo belt and idler pulley but I'd be happy to look.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The same thing happened to my smog pump the last time I went through some deep water.... How prone are these pumps to sucking up water like that?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes if you don't mind looking. I might be able to measure around the pulleys and get close but thought some one might know the application. Thank's it will be a start. I think my problem was that the air intake filter cap was off which allowed the water to enter unrestricted but it's still a bad location for some thing that is water sensitive. DAVE

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
No problem, I'll take a look. Here's what I remember with some certainty! My 91 Trooper locked up the AC clutch. No problem, it didn't work anyway and I knew my parts Rodeo came without AC so I thought maybe I could just rob the belt or something. Nothing's that easy, I went to the Rodeo and discovered it didn't have a smog pump, never did therefor the belt was routed a bit different and too short. I definitely remember the differences in the idler pulley. I'll get over there and look tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Wow, doesn't get any better then this! Thanks betterthanyou, that is an outstanding tutorial. I still wonder why the Rodeo didn't have an air pump yet the Trooper does.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everybody who replied and betterthanyou for the great write up. Got the pump out and tensioner reindexed w/ a new belt and every thing works great. Any one know where I could get a new decal showing the Rodeo belt diagram? Thanks DAVE
When I said deepwater I wast'nt joking I wuold say that any one who can't remove there's at least move the air intake up to higher grpound

1 - 9 of 9 Posts