Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 amigo with the 3.2 and after it runs for a few minutes I can smell a slight whiff of antifreeze from under the hood. The exhaust seems to smell right and no white clouds. I don't see any place the antifreeze is coming from and doesn't seem to be using any but I have only drove it 200 miles so far because I bought it recked and have been doing the body work on it.

I ordered a timing belt kit with water pump with hopes it just a slow leak from the pump, it has 116,000 miles on it so it due any way. I haven't pulled and looked at any of the plugs yet but it would be a good idea to before doing the work of putting in the timing belt and then finding out a head has to come of.

Are my odds better its a pump or a head gasket/cracked head?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'd not toss indiscriminate parts at it until you have a better idea what is leaking. An overnight pressure test will usually show it up for what it is.

You have a pressure tester - right?

BTW: That particular engine has some typical leaks that are common to them, and I'd wait for a few more hours to see when someone sees your question, and they have or had the same engine in their vehicle.

But I'd still pressure test it anyway.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
2000's arent known for cracked heads or head gasket issues, most of that was '98. Anything can happen though I guess. I would look for a leak from one of the rubber hoses, especially the heater hoses. They can drip onto the exhaust and enhance the ability to smell it. If it was wrecked there might be a small crack in the radiator.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Isn't there a bypass or pump hose under the plenum or something? I have a faint memory of a problem with that.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My thermostat leak caused a smell very much like you are describing. Likely the small rubber o ring if that is the case.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The thermostat and heater pipes are under the intake. There are o-rings that seal the pipes. The thermostat gasket or these o-rings could be leaking or the small coolant hoses that run to the throttle body. You're water pump could also be slightly seeping.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
CatFuzz said:
The thermostat and heater pipes are under the intake. There are o-rings that seal the pipes. The thermostat gasket or these o-rings could be leaking or the small coolant hoses that run to the throttle body. You're water pump could also be slightly seeping.
what he said. On the left side of the intake where the throttle body is you can look under in the valley. Shine some flash light. I had the same issue and thats where it was leaking. Except for mine my seals were new so initially it was leaking, but I guess once the seals "broke in" the leaking stopped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hopefully you don't have my previous issue or I should say issues. Replaced passenger side head at 73,000 miles, replaced driver side head at 176,000 miles. Both times it turned out to be a very small crack at the exhaust port on the head. First time I noticed coolant in the spark plug well, second time I was coming home from work & temp guage pegged out then started missing. Never had an external coolant leak from the hoses or pump. Hopefully thats all you have. If you do have a cracked head, you want it to be the passenger side. Drivers side is a PITA.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I'd personally have a pressure test done prior to ruling anything in or out; these engines are NOT common for headgasket failures....but they are common for o-ring, etc failures....could even be a small crack in the radiator too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a rigid coolant line under the intake manifold. This runs the coolant to the rear of the engine, and is sealed by a 5 cent O-ring. On my 3.2, the coolant pooled directly under the manifold. If I ever parked on an incline, the liquid would run out, over the edge in various spots !! I though the engine was toast.... but like I said above, a 5 cent O-ring fixed the problem.

If you get in there, be sure to replace the O-ring on the return line side too...chances are it's degraded too.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
breeeep said:
There is a rigid coolant line under the intake manifold. This runs the coolant to the rear of the engine, and is sealed by a 5 cent O-ring. On my 3.2, the coolant pooled directly under the manifold. If I ever parked on an incline, the liquid would run out, over the edge in various spots !! I though the engine was toast.... but like I said above, a 5 cent O-ring fixed the problem.

If you get in there, be sure to replace the O-ring on the return line side too...chances are it's degraded too.
I'd be careful denigrating the O-ring companies like that. There may be some big goons at your door at any time in the next few days to correct your thinking.

But then again - there's the space shuttle booster rockets that come to mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.