Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out ubs_ trooper which is freakin awsome btw and it got me to thinking about going with the skinny and smaller tire set up. What would be some pro's and con's from running say a 31 or 32 skinny instead of a 33 fat. Also does anyone have any pictures of a set up like this on a first gen? or just show me your skinny's if ya got em whatever zu you have.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
my 98 jackaroo has 235/85r16's, it did have 265/75r16's

the 245/70's sucked...
the 265/75's felt nicer, kinda floaty though
the 235/85's had more pickup and slightly better fuel economy - they also railwayed the truck grooves in the road much worse!
the 245/75's on my shorty feel perfect

will try 255/85's next

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
VO|TRON said:
I was checking out ubs_ trooper which is freakin awsome btw and it got me to thinking about going with the skinny and smaller tire set up. What would be some pro's and con's from running say a 31 or 32 skinny instead of a 33 fat. Also does anyone have any pictures of a set up like this on a first gen? or just show me your skinny's if ya got em whatever zu you have.
yeah, that trooper is one of my fav's man... that thing is perfect!

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
VO|TRON said:
The pro's for running a slightly smaller tire/original size would be some more power, less weight, better fuel economy and a better contact "patch".

The con's would be clearance and less traction if you're playing in the sand or mud.

When you say "33 fat", what width are you talking about?

I run a 33x10.50 M/T and when inflated accordingly to the type of terrain, I've had no major problems driving in rocks, mud, snow or sand.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Go 34x10.50 and call it a day :p

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
RamAirZ said:
Go 34x10.50 and call it a day :p
33x10.5 is what I run and I do have a set of 33x12.5's set off to the side in case I feel like throwing some mud.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I actually really like the look of the 12.50s on voltrons truck. I had 12.50s on my first rodeo and liked them alot. I would leave it or go to the 33x10.50, I wouldn't go to a smaller diameter unless you had to for some reason

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the look of the 12.50's but gas milage and power are killing me. Gas milage is 12-13 and we all know the power issues with the 2.8. I was thinking 32's in a 10.50 or maybe even a 31. I dont do much offroading so practicality wise there is no reason to have the 33's. I will be doing some camping and light offroading but with the locker up front and some 31 mt's I think I would be fine off road and be better on gas and power.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've never weighed my tires alone, but I did weigh one of my 15" steel wheels with a new 32" Procomp A/T tire mounted on it. Came in at 73 lbs.

P.S. One of my stock Rodeo wheels with a 30" A/T weighed in at 68.5 lbs.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
My 34x10.50s on 15x6 steel wheels weigh 94lbs a piece

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn thats heavy, I want the lightest tires and wheels I can find in a size of about 33 or 32. Like the wheels and tires ubs_lover has on his truck. The military style skinny's but with them pushed out to the outside of the truck. I dont like them when they are tucked too far under the truck, I want the widest track I can get with those skinny tires and wheels. I am going to take the suspension lift off and just run with the 1 inch body lift.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I sweated over this for DAYS & DAYS before I bought my new set of 33x12.50's. I did a LOT of research, both on here and at therangerstation forum and also over at the Seriousexplorations forum. My gut told me to run a "Pizza Cutter", but I simply liked the LOOKS (and still do) of a w i d e tire.

I can sum up the facts in one simple post:
SKINNY TIRE:
PRO'S:
Greater contact pressure
Better in hardpacked shallow (less than 1 ft. deep) snow & slush. ( NOTHING but a dedicated winter tire compound with studs is really FAIR in true ICE. Just stay home in an ice storm! lol )
Cons:
TYPICALLY not as stable / as well handeling on the street as a wide tire.
NOT GOOD for deep sand! :lol:

WIDE TIRE:
PRO'S:
Better flotation over loose soil & sand.
Wider track width TYPICALLY yeilds better on road handeling.
Generally better over really deep snow. (See "flotation" above)
CON'S:
Higher weight for same O.D.
Inferior to skinny tires when climbing loose rocky hills / trails.
Generally a little worse fuel milage than a skinny tire of same O.D.

I am not going to say much on the preformance in mud. Reason being is simple:
Yes, it is true a 33X12.50 would be better in deep mud, IF you had about 500 horsepower to spin the crap out of them!
But from my last 19 years of real world off road experiance, on typical daily drivers, or low powerd (under 300 HP) trail rigs, if you get stuck in mud, you would have been just as freakin stuck if you had 34x10.50's instead of the 33x12.50's, or vice-versa! :lol:
And ANY "Old Guy" that has accualy BEEN on many trails / out in farm fields for long will (most likely) agree.

In closing: Run what you WANT to run & just BE HAPPY! :D

BTW: I thought the "WIDE vs. SKINNY Tire debate" used to be a sticky. Was it not?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Right at 32" in diameter.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I had 255/85/16 Courser A/T's on my 1982 C20 Chevy Diesel. They were 33.25" X 9.00"

I am currently planning on running a 285/75/16 on my company truck. ( '98 F150 2wd ext. cab.) Have junky used 265/75/16's on there now.

I have allready snuck on 2" lift blocks in the rear & a set of Dayco 1.5" coil spring boosters up front! :twisted:
SO FAR, the boss has not noticed what I have done. YET! :lol:
( EDIT 01/17/2011: Took the front 1.5" boosters off. Going to stick with 265's. No longer drive that truck much, as I now have a fuel card and my Trooper is now my companty truck with the gas paid for. )
Sorry for the hijack, back to the topic at hand:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts