Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995.5 V6 3.2L Automatic Transmission, Isuzu Rodeo. it currently has 130k miles. i changed the timing belt and the tensioner at ~120k miles. My problem right now is that I'm experiencing loud squeels during cold start ups from the engine. I don't know whether its the timing belt or some of the other belts, or a part going bad. the squeel comes from the area behind the radiator fan. it lasts about 5-10 seconds and stops. every now and then I hear the squeel when I'm driving. what could this be and what should I do?

my other question is I have an oil leak that is coming from the lower part of the vehicle. the metal frame that is underneath the area where the oil filter is has accumulation of old oil. the person whom I bought the car from said that a gasket needed to be changed and that the only place you can find that gasket is in the dealer. they told me that this line of rodeos have are known to have a leak problem from that gasket. what gasket where they talking about and has anyone in this forum changed it or have had similiar problems?

sorry for the lengthy post!
:oops:

·
Registered
214 Posts
The squeal is likely coming from your alternator belt. When it is cold mine does the same thing. If this is what it is and you have a voltmeter in your dash you will notice that while it is squealing the voltage drops out and then goes back up to 14 volts when its not slipping. Try tightening it up while its cold.

As far as the oil leak there is an o-ring right behind where the oil filter screws on. It is the oil cooler adapter o-ring. Mine used to leak pretty bad.

If you have crusty oil all around the back of the oil filter fitting this is probably the culprit. I believe I paid about $7.00 to my local dealer for the part.

To change it you need to pull off the oil filter adapter (large metric socket, I think 25-27mm DEEP) and two radiator lines that go to the oil cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nathanb33 said:
The squeal is likely coming from your alternator belt. When it is cold mine does the same thing. If this is what it is and you have a voltmeter in your dash you will notice that while it is squealing the voltage drops out and then goes back up to 14 volts when its not slipping. Try tightening it up while its cold.
thanks nathanb33! yesterday I went to my mechanic and he told me that the powersteering belt needed to be tightned and did it for me but that didn't solve the problem. i'll go back to him today and tell him to tighten the alternator belt.

as far as the oil leak goes, i'll look in to the o ring area. i don't have crusty oil around the back of the oil filter. under the engine of the rodeo there is a horizontal bar that's attached to the frame of the car. it runs parallel to the bumper of the car but its underneath the engine. that frame/bar is full of old engine oil, not behind the oil filter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you have not already done so take off the skid plates so you can better track down where the oil is coming from. This will give you a better view of the situation. Once you have the skid plate off you might want to take it to a car wash and degrease/clean the undercarriage really well so that you can see the fresh oil better and find the leak. I ran with no plate for about a month to track down my leaks.

It is likely being blown back to the transmission support/inside of the frame from somewhere up front. I think the oil cooler adapter leak is pretty common on these engines and easy to fix so hopefully that turns out to be it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.