Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'92 Amigo project. 8)
The car seems to "wander" as I'm driving and there appears to be SLOP when sitting and just moving the wheel
side to side. I know that the steering box can be tightened to some degree but what else in the front end
could I visually inspect for wear that cause such an issue.
I am basically a one handed mechanic :oops: due to nerve damage from
an old war injury ...so can't do the work but I would like to be able to comm with a front end guy and
not sound like a complete idiot. :roll:
Any thoughts would be helpful...I've gotten the diagram of the steering and suspension so I can reference that!

·
Registered
304 Posts
i have the same issue with my 99 trooper. There is maybe 1/2 inch play in the steering wheel when driving before i can actually feel the wheels turning. Maybe my ball joints are the issue. I have 110K miles.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It might be the steering gear box. Park the truck and have someone turn the wheel back and forth to find where the play is coming from. My pickup has a bad gear box.

** I have an extra fully rebuilt gear box for sale too. $200

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
On the 92, you could have a bad idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods or drag link. The steering box could also be sloppy or a combination of any/all of the above.

On the 99 Trooper, different set-up. Your truck has fewer steering parts and is likely to be worn tie rods. No drag link, idler or pitman.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
so it wonders going down the road? could be a lot of things...steering box, tie rod ends, pitman arm etc

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
regards the "sloppy steering"...I just confirmed that the problem is!
...I think: a bad center link
...the shop said that it is a $400.00 part.
Now, I just went on line and found:
Part Number: MOOG-DS1168 from Energy Suspensions for $179.00.
What possibly could the difference be?
I really trust this guy but this sounds like a "hose job" to me!
Thoughts or ideas????

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Is $400 including installation? Shops normally mark up their prices on parts.

I was quoted $400 to replace just both of my inner tie rods. I bought the inner tie rods and boots for like $70 and did it myself in less than an hour.

I saved more than $300. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the come back on this...!
That was the installed price...and I know they need to make some $$$ but I can get the part for $179.00.
The question I gotta ask...is R&R of the center link a difficult job.
I'm not necessarily a wrench turner...and I have a bit of a disability in my right(dominant) hand.
By the diagram it looks like it would be a matter of turning some nuts and bolts and then getting it aligned...!
Is it a complicated job...it sure doesn't seem like it!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
ebgbz said:
Thanks for the come back on this...!
That was the installed price...and I know they need to make some $$$ but I can get the part for $179.00.
The question I gotta ask...is R&R of the center link a difficult job.
I'm not necessarily a wrench turner...and I have a bit of a disability in my right(dominant) hand.
By the diagram it looks like it would be a matter of turning some nuts and bolts and then getting it aligned...!
Is it a complicated job...it sure doesn't seem like it!
They charge what they charge.

What you need to do is first, ask if they can do it for less.

And then whatever price it comes down to... Consider whether it is worth it to YOU, to pay that, to have the job done, so you don't have to mess with it yourself.

:D

It's common in the construction industry, just like the mechanical, for 'customers' to look at a job, think that it "looks so easy", and then think they are getting ripped off on the price.

What they don't take into consideration is the experience of the construction worker/mechanic. And/or all the things that could go wrong.

A really good mechanic or construction worker will make the job look easy. That doesn't mean it is all cake and pie.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tat...you are exactly right. 8)
...and I didn't mean to make light of anyone's experience! He's got an investment in his shop, his tools and his experience.
It's worth what it's worth and I do TRUST this guy to tell me straight up what the deal is.
...just as important is that is is worth it to have some one else do, rather than STRUGGLE with it myself.
I know that they do make their living on profit just like I do in my Bike Shop.
I'm sure that I can do it for less but...will it be right when I get done?
I KNOW it will be right when he gets done! That's worth quite a bit!
I will ask him IF that's his best price...it is what it is!
Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
ebgbz said:
Tat...you are exactly right. 8)
...and I didn't mean to make light of anyone's experience! He's got an investment in his shop, his tools and his experience.
It's worth what it's worth and I do TRUST this guy to tell me straight up what the deal is.
...just as important is that is is worth it to have some one else do, rather than STRUGGLE with it myself.
I know that they do make their living on profit just like I do in my Bike Shop.
I'm sure that I can do it for less but...will it be right when I get done?
I KNOW it will be right when he gets done! That's worth quite a bit!
I will ask him IF that's his best price...it is what it is!
Thanks for the insight!
Exactly !

I always look at it like that. Do I really want to struggle with that job myself. And if not, what is it worth to me not to have to.

There is always a certain line where the cost becomes more than my desire not to do the job myself. LOL

But up to that point...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
What is he charging just for parts? If its a great deal more than $170, ask if you can provide the part.

Its hard to find a good mechanic you can trust. Which is why I do most of the work myself, cause I know I will do it right.
And if anythig gets messed up, the blame is all on me. Looks like you trust him, so his time and skill may be worth what he charges.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dae said:
What is he charging just for parts? If its a great deal more than $170, ask if you can provide the part.

Its hard to find a good mechanic you can trust. Which is why I do most of the work myself, cause I know I will do it right.
And if anythig gets messed up, the blame is all on me. Looks like you trust him, so his time and skill may be worth what he charges.
I think I'll let him make the profit on the parts...I've had folks bring parts to the bike shop and ask for assembly.
...and all we get paid for is the labor!
Don't like it too much! I'll just ask if that's his best price and let him do it!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ebgbz,

Might be able to save yourself a few $$. Rockauto sells the Moog DS1168 for $120.89 + $8.99 ship to ZIP 33634. I know there are 58 zip codes in Tampa, but imagine shipping would be the same to any of them. Don't forget to check with Jerry Lemond.

Hope this helps,

GB :)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
What does it say about me that every time I read the title to this thread, somehow it reads as "seconds"...

:? :roll: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
8) I found it locally at NAPA for 249.00 (cheapest) if I remember it was special order...maybe a week.
I think I might try RockAuto and maybe ask my guy if he'll install.
That's a bit touchy though!
...I'll try and keep the 411 comin'
Thanks all!!!
I might even be able to keep this thing between the lines after all! :lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now...Tat, I'm not sure what to say...your profile says you live in Washington...is that state or DC.
If DC I would take it literally, but I understand that Wa.State isn't so bad except that it's WET all the time!
Maybe that's what you're thinkin' about...well DANG!
Anyway back on the topic...I talked to the shop this AM and he suggested that I go on line and buy the part.
He would install.
What a guy...! I'll take him up on that...!
RockAuto sounds pretty good!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:shock: I will check it out...it seems to be get sloppier, especially
when wet! I seem to have heard that in other situation ! :lol:
The project is closer...steering, suspension, bushing and all that!
If the Amigo wasn't so dam* cute it wouldn't be near as much fun! 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.