1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Video 5/27/08. Next Page.

New Pics 5/12/08. Scroll down.

New Video 5/6/08. Scroll down.

First of all thanks for looking. Heres a bunch of pics of my Passport and its progression.

- Stock...

- 3" lift using shackles, add-a-leafs, and torsion crank. 16" Rowckcrawlers w/ 265/75R16 (equivalent to 32x10.5)

- Off Roading at Kaena Point / Mokuleia 3/11/08. Wet and rainy

- Off Roading again at Kaena Point / Mokuleia 3/15/08. This time it was dry. = (

- Now with 1 1/2" wheel spacers

- Removed the UGLY rear tire and tire carrier

Much more to come.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Sweet truck...personally, I think the rear carrier completes the ruggedness look of the Rodeo and sets it apart from other suv's. Besides, where else are you gonna carry a 32" spare tire, you need to get rid of the stock size spare and upsize it....otherwise a flat could leave you in a rough situation with a 3" lift and a 29" tire versus 32".

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice truck :roll:
Those passports look identical to our early Fontera A serise.

One question, do you have protection on you fuel tank ?
We have a metal tray the plastic tank sits in to protect it from rocks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i agree i like the rear tire carrier the spare inside takes up too much room!
DRIFT: are rodeos and passport have a metal cover over the gas tank in my experience they are pretty durable!

Nice truck man!!
now geter Muddy!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ahhaa they do, same as ours then, cheers rodeoboy54 8)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Toyota is my friends sisters truck. A total of 7-8 inches of lift. The thing is a monster but its mostly a street driven queen.

I actually really like the looks of the truck with no spare tire, it gives it a clean look to it. Everytime i saw a newer gen. Passport or Rodeo i disliked the spare tire on the back even more. The removal of the spare tire give it a much more modern look. And dont forget its much easier to access the trunk and visibility is much better too.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nice truck!

Thats odd tho, the Passports got body color rear pillar while Isuzu had black.... either somebody changed it thru time... or.... :::gasp::: you actually have an Isuzu.... :)

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
It would definitely give me a better viewing without the rear tire, but I don't have anywhere else to store a 32" spare tire....it's definitely NOT going on the roof, underneith, or inside the truck, takes up way too much space. I'm most surely NOT going to try and hoist down a tire that big off the roof, and I generally put a lot of other stuff up there when we're on the road.

See, I'm old fashion I guess, I'm not into the modern look of these newer SUV's, I think they resemble too much of a mini-van on steroids, if you will. The only newer SUV I somewhat like the looks of is the Nissan Xterra 05+....but, I'm into the rugged and the something *different* look about my vehicles.

Again very nice rig!

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey Slipper, have you had those wheel spacers on long enough to say whether or not you think they're safe? i can't really find any threads/sites that aren't just about 50/50 on the spacers. have you had any problems with them?

btw, Hawaii seems like an almost ideal place for off-roading, you lucky ****. i guess it all balances out though since you guys have to have the softest license plates ever. :lol:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also agree the first gen Rodeo/Passports look very Rugged with the rear tire mounted on the gate. On the second gen I dont like the look, until they are lifeted then they look good. In my o pion.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Night Wolf - This must be the most confused truck ever! Its a Honda Passport, but the door name plate and engine bay name plate says Isuzu, and the engine is made by GM. But anyway, its actually a Honda Passport and i painted the rear panel black. It matched the lines of the side and rear glass a lot better.

XtremeAaron - there was actually a little rust on the rear hatch area but i took care of that.

hartke20g - I will check tomorrow or this weekend to see if the wheel spacers held up to the abuse i put it to today. Went off roading again, drove it into a 5-6 foot deep dried up mud pit, and launched the truck out at full throttle. My friends said i caught about 4 feet or air in the front. The truck slammed down so hard my front fender flare shattered and it warped my front driver side fender. Nothing a little pounding cant take care of.

I live on Oahu, Hawaii. Actually it really isnt an ideal place to off-road. The City and County of Honolulu took away almost ever off-road spot possible with huge boulders blocking the way. There used to be lots of places to go for off-roading, but now were left with only two. One of those two is considered illegal trespassing if you're caught, the other place is the last remaining legal off-road spot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^ Like i said, i went off roading again today 4/17/08. This time i had the wheel spacers installed, sway bar removed, and no spare tire carrier is that matters...

After the sway bar removal

Before the sway bar removal

After the sway bar removal

Before the sway bar removal

As you can see, i gained about 1/2 to 3/4" of added articulation in the front. To tell you the truth i was actually expecting more. Stupid IFS! Removing the sway bar definitely helped though, despite the minimal gains in articulation. Driving over rough terrain i could feel the suspension articulating instead of tossing the body and its passengers around.

·
Registered
749 Posts
slipper said:
Night Wolf - This must be the most confused truck ever! Its a Honda Passport, but the door name plate and engine bay name plate says Isuzu, and the engine is made by GM. But anyway, its actually a Honda Passport and i painted the rear panel black. It matched the lines of the side and rear glass a lot better.
The truck is completely Isuzu. The only thing Honda about it is the badges, nothing is made by Honda on it at all.

You have the 3.2L V6, right? That is an Isuzu engine, not GM.... only GM engines to go into modern passenger vehicle Isuzu's were the 2.8L V6 in 1st gen Troopers and 3.1L V6 in very early Rodeo and Pickup.

So you did paint the trim... that was a different between a Rodeo and Passport... Rodeo, the rear pillar trim was black, on the Passport, Honda painted the trim the body color... by you now painting it black, it looks like it's a Rodeo... I dunno, I'm a geek with this stuff and I pick up on it :)

I didn't know you are in Hawaii, I've got a friend that lives on the big island.... went there in '05, we had alot of fun in his Tundra out there... definitly really cool!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
NightWolf is correct.....your truck is 100% Isuzu.

Honda had NOTHING to do with the building of these trucks, they only bought a portion of stock from Isuzu in order to put their nameplate on them and sell them as Honda's cause Honda did not have a good running SUV platform at the time the deal was made.

The only real difference between the Passport and the Rodeo, is Honda upped their pricing by quite a bit upon initial sale with MUCH less warranty behind it, versus someone who bought a Rodeo with a much longer factory warranty.

Passport's only came with 36k mile, whereas when I bought my 2nd Rodeo brandnew, it came with a 50k factory warranty and sold for 3-4k less.

There is one GM part in that truck, and that is the automatic transmission, the 4L30-E.

Otherwise, my first Rodeo, a 91 DID in fact have the 3.1L GM engine in it. But the 3.2L sohc, 3.2L dohc, 3.5L engines are 100% Isuzu.

BTW - you live in beautiful country....again nice Rodeo. Where'd you get your spacers?? Where they a pain to put on?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ramblin Fever, Yes Hawaii is very beautiful. But the last time i checked Hawaii is in the same country as Colorado... the United States. :lol:

I also had a 91 Rodeo Prior to this several years ago with the 3.1L GM engine. I just assumed this was also a GM engine cause it uses GM marked parts when i was peeking around. So i would say its 98% Isuzu, not 100.

I purchased the wheel spacers from the eBay retailer "Complete Value".

http://stores.ebay.com/CompleteValue-Wheel-Spacers

Upon first look they look very stout and very well built. The seller says they're made from 6061 Aluminum billet. Only time will tell if these spacers will hold up or not but i dont have a worry since they look so well built.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Why didnt you drive threw the mud hole youre friend got his shoe stuck in?????? Hes got more mud on one shoe then you got on the entire truck :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Just busting your b****..Nice pics

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.