Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 2000 Isuzu Amigo (3.2L V6 4X4) recently started giving her starting problems (ignition clicks once each time key is turned but then finally starts after several attempts), so I did a little research on this (and other) websites, and finally determined that the starter was the culprit. (I checked the battery and it was good, and found no other problems with the ignition system.) After reading about the difficulty in replacing the starter motor for this and other similar models (either by removing the exhaust pipe, or unbolting the motor from the mounts and lifting the entire engine) due to the lack of room under the engine, I discovered that the easiest solution would be to simply repair the solenoid under the car, as this is by far the most common issue with these starter motors going bad. I ordered a new set of contacts, and plunger, jacked up the front, and removed the driver side tire. Then I disconnected the negative from the battery, unhooked the cables from the starter, removed the two large bolts, and dropped the starter motor down to where I could easily access the three small bolts on the plate covering the contacts/plunger. Next, I simply removed the bad contacts, and installed the new ones along with the new plunger, and then reassembled everything. Then I lifted and bolted the starter motor back into place and reattached the cables, and started her up on the first try. This entire process took only about 2 hours, and cost only about $35 for the contacts & plunger. I'm simply a shadetree mechanic, so I know it could be done in about half that amount of time by others. Why go through all the trouble with replacing the entire starter motor, when most of the time, the solenoid contacts/plunger are to blame.

·
Registered
454 Posts
When my starter went bad - I pulled it - took to an elect. shop.

Yes - the contacts are all that goes bad in that unit.

In my case - pulling the exhaust was necessary in order to gain access and even with that - turned out to be a "one-handed" job for the most part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello 5th,

I'm a newbie, and don't want to get flamed or into any trouble with unauthorized advertising, but here is where I purchased my contacts and new plunger:

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html#e57

I have no affiliation with them, but shipping was fast, and they have a nice short video on this site that explains the entire process. They even mention that the job can be done while still on the car in situations such as ours (Isuzus). I found that I had plenty of room to work on the solenoid after the starter was dropped and I had removed the front wheel off for additional clearance through the wheel well. I also removed the heat shields, but could have done it with them still in place.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm a newbie, and don't want to get flamed or into any trouble with unauthorized advertising, but here is where I purchased my contacts and new plunger:
We do not flame anybody for sharing good info. Thanks and welcome!!!
:) :) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.