Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to Isuzu, but I've got a '94 Rodeo V6 4X4. I love this vehicle, but the engine is done. I've done some research and I know it's a possibility to drop a Chevy V8 in it, but no details. I don't want to start with anything crazy. I just want the easiest engine install possible. Do any of you have any ideas on what engines might just bolt up?

Sidenote: It would be swell to get a carb/distributor set up, if possible.

· Registered
5,012 Posts
TimmKitts said:
Automatic
Unfortunately there's no way a 4L30E will hold up to a V8. You'd have to go to a beefier transmission.

No adapters out there, however there are a number of ZooZoo Dudes involved in LS swaps to their Troopers.

Here's a LS 5.3 swap thread with tons of pics, it's done to a Gen I Trooper but a swap into a later Isuzu rig would be similar:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-h ... -swap.html

· Registered
7,077 Posts
Agreed easiest way is to shoehorn a small block and a 4 speed auto like a 4L60E use an adapter for an older Toyota T case that is right hand drop and you should be on your way.

· Registered
8,078 Posts
Yeah, but he also said "I just want the easiest engine install possible." None of the above is bolt-in stuff, he would have to fab mounts and crossmembers and new electronics and many other things.

· Registered
8,078 Posts
If only Isuzu had come out with the V8 for the Trooper like they were planning...

· Registered
7,077 Posts
If he had a manual trans then at least you could make an LS4 bolt to it. There are still issues to overcome but at least the transmission and transfer case could stay.

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Those engines do use the 60* bell housing pattern. Every single one of them is rated for my torque then a 4l30 is designed to handle. A low mileage or fresh rebuild may last a little while behind one but I wouldn't even waste the time trying to use a high mileage unit. Unless you want to go through installing a transmission twice.

· Registered
2,244 Posts
If this was a Toyota then no you wouldn't have to fab new mounts. Unfortunately nothing built for Isuzu engine swaps so everything will be custom.

The only simple engine swaps are 3.2 to 3.5 and possibly the diesel. Neither of which are as simple as just bolting it in. If you want simple then you're stuck with the same engine you have or going with a brand that supported by the aftermarket.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
The easier V8 install would probably be a carbed small block Ford. Distributor in the front, shorter block. Still nothing that bolts right up.

Any engine swap with more torque than the 3.2 will need a new transmission anyway. Bolting up to it is irrelevant.

· Registered
7,077 Posts
I have to agree here. If I had the time and money I would put it a crate 5.0L bored and stroked to a 330. They are the shortest in length and height. The front distributor lets you force the engine all the way back. I would then bolt on one of the aftermarket TBI systems to replace the carb. Another equally good choice would be a LS4 from a FWD car. Although the engine is bigger all the accessories are designed to hug the block making the finished package very compact since it was intended for a FWD car. There is no distributor so again the engine can be moved way back. Another bonus is it will bolt to an MUA5 that was behind a 2.8L or 3.1L. It will bolt to a 4L30E too but I'm sure the trnasmission would not last long.

Stay away from all North Star engines. Yes they look good on paper but in the real world they are junk engines that dont last long and have no support.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Since OP suggested carb/distributor, I went with the SBF. Many people can fab anything their minds can dream up, but will run away screaming at the thought of wiring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts