Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Silicone Vacuum Hoses

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  bradzuzu 
#1 ·
I thought I'd post this while fresh on my brain. As part of the preparation for my annual emissions test, I've replaced the under hood vacuum hoses with silicone hoses. I ordered them, by the foot, from Hose Techniques.

My 2001 Rodeo V6 used the following sizes and lengths to replace all the under hood hoses. This does not include the evap hoses that run to the rear of the truck:

Diameter - length:

3.5mm - 8'
4.0 mm - 2'
6.0 mm - 4'

I ordered black and reused the stock protective shrouds. This keeps them from being obvious and they seem seem to work well.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice engine compartment. Silicone is the way to go in most applications due to it chemistry and extreme heat tolerance. Your posting will probably help others in the future.

#5 ·
You don't drive it do you ??? :) that's so clean you must pop the hood and eat off the cowling !!!
I'm impressed that's time consuming cosmetic's dude !!

#6 ·
It only looks this good because I power washed it last week in preparation for the emissions inspection. I was up Rampart Range a few weeks back and it was crusted with oil/dirt and grime. You'd be suprised wat $10 at the local car wash can do.

#8 ·
Enemigo said:
Why do you bother cleaning it for the emissions test? They hardly even look at anything. Just give it a glance.
I always clean it before I work on it. She was running rich and blowing black smoke at WOT without any CEL codes. I replaced the MAF, coolant temp sensor, air filter, cleaned the plugs, cleaned the EGR and installed the vacuum hoses above, all to try and get it through the emissions process.

On a positive note, she passed with flying colors. Hydrocarbons and NOx were down over her last test (in 2005). CO was up from 1 to 6, making me think my CAT's may need to be replaced before the next test.

#9 ·
I'm surprised you didn't have trouble with water down in the spark plug holes ...
That one thing that makes me nervous about cleaning with water on these.
I've worked on a few ford's with the triton v8 and the passenger rear plug got rain water in it cross fired melted the high dollar plastic intake manifold and then blew a hole in the head lol.
Thank god isuzu is well built. Congrats on passing with flying colors !!!!

#12 ·
He's full of it it's parked in the garage and clean as the day it was made. He stares at it nightly and goes to bed dreaming of mountain trails lol...
Guess you better get it dirty again to prove us wrong :)

#14 ·
Wow that is very clean. Nice lookin rig!!!!! I can't believe you would take that up beatin around. Nice pic's ..... I didn't see the pic of you eating off of the engine cowl lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.