Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about removing my suspension lift and and just keeping my 1inch body lift and going back down to 31's. I am trying to keep from getting rid of it for something a little more fuel efficient and hwy friendly for trips to go camping. Can you show me your first gens with 31's or 32's and if you have the 2.8 whats the gas milage you are getting. Also I am looking for some snow flakes to get rid of my heavy steelies and 33's. Anyone have any idea how much better gas milage will be as well as power going down to a 31 with alloy wheels from 33's with steelies.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Because you already have 4.77's your highway RPM would be over 3000RPM and may negate any fuel mileage increase you would see from going down in size. If your running 33X12.50's you would probably be better off running 33X10.50's. I am running 33X10.50's with 4.55 gears and I would not change a thing. I drive it every day and go on very long road trips with it as well as off-road. I see more than 20MPG with no trailer on the highway and about 18 to 20 depending on how I drive with a trailer on. With the trailer on and loaded I am nearly 6000lbs Total

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I am getting about 13 mpg which BLOWS! I get about 200 miles to a tank and that is not cool. Its not my daily driver so thats not a real big issue but I would like to take it on camping trips but with the gas milage and minimal power I am hesitant. Gas milage is a big concern but also looking to try and make it a little easier on the motor not to roll those meats and steel wheels.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Here's mine. 31x10.50x15, with a 2-3" suspension lift. I get around 16 city, 18 highway with this setup. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
VO|TRON said:
well I am getting about 13 mpg which BLOWS! I get about 200 miles to a tank and that is not cool. Its not my daily driver so thats not a real big issue but I would like to take it on camping trips but with the gas milage and minimal power I am hesitant. Gas milage is a big concern but also looking to try and make it a little easier on the motor not to roll those meats and steel wheels.
Wow if it is that bad I think the old 2.8L deserves a once over. When was the last time you gave a tuneup, including checking the timing and cylinder compression?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Red Beans on 31's.

Red beans on 32's.

4:77s are perfect for 31's. It's about being in the power band not just about the lowest rpm for mileage. I average 18+.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I dunno, with my 2.8 and 3.4 I never saw much a difference in fuel consumption. With the Calmini lift and the 33s and steelies and roof rack, I consistently get about 220 miles per tank. Now, you also need to figure that the number you are seeing is low since your speedo/odo are off by roughly 7% due to the larger tires. So I would guess I get more like 235-240 miles per tank. Still, that is sucky gas mileage...

Bart

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Here's Red with 31x10.5/15's and an Aisin Automatic. I get about 17.5-18 MPG on combined driving. i drive 35 miles one way on my daily commute. Mostly highway but then stop and go traffic in Charleston SC for 20-30 minutes

·
Registered
715 Posts
Here's mine! I do get 19-22 mpg if I drive carefully.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

17to18 mpg Can,t imagine any thing larger the 31s takes about all the power that it(Trooper) can spare. I do have Revo. gears so low range is not problem just on the highway DAVE

·
Registered
297 Posts
Pre 2" suspension lift

Post 2" suspension lift

No rubbing on either setup either.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Just a note, With the 4:77s and 32's my speedo is right on the money. I've checked it with GPS and radar. Originally had 235x15's and 4:56 gears.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Star Blazers said:
Here's mine. 31x10.50x15, with a 2-3" suspension lift. I get around 16 city, 18 highway with this setup. Hope that helps some.

I'm not interested in lifting or otheriwse modifying my stock 1st gen....but this truck is SWEET. Wow - looks great! Hmmmm..... :idea:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the motor rebuilt about 2 years ago maybe a little more and have only put about 10,000 miles on it since then. I dont drive it a whole lot and has not had a tune-up since then. I just had it in the shop for EGR issue's and they checked the timing. It is running better and doesnt run as much like a carborated engine in the winter mornings. I have drivin half a tank and only 120 miles. The 13-14 mpg was usually with the AC on but it still shouldnt be that bad I wouldnt think. As far as more milage then what it is reading I know the odometer is not on point but with the 4.77's I think its pretty close.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
My '84 with 31"x10.5" still get some 40+ MPG with standard C223 diesel. :)

No body lift, just around 1" suspension lift. With old type IFS the tyre rub inner fender in thight turn. It'll be no problem with your newer IFS.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im jelous or your 40mpg ubs, yea I am running 33's right now with no rubbing just want to go back down to 31's or 32's. The 33's seem like they put to much strain on the motor and kill gas milage although I dont see how going to 31's from 33's will get me back 5 mpg's. I think something else might be going on.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Couple of inches makes a huge difference. Gets you out of the powerband without a gear change.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts