Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the timing belt on my 86 trooper and will be replacing the water pump as well...since I'm there, should I go ahead and replace the oil pump?? Seems to me like there's some oil leaking from its shaft seal...anyone messed with the oil pump before??? TIA...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx tad, I think i'll just leave it alone for now...they quoted me $200.00+ for a new one and I'm too poor right now...... :(

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow, $200 for an oil pump on a 2.3L is a bit out there. Check www.rockauto.com and see what you think then, I think they are around $70. The oil seal on the shaft is not too hard to replace, but it can take some time if you are not familiar with pulling and replacing seals. The seal and gasket kit is usually around $5-6 though.

I managed to find a nice new Melling pump on ebay when I did the timing belt on my 2.3L for less than $30 shipped, so I skipped redoing the seal. I was really time constrained for doing the belt so I bought everything in advance by a ways. I had less than one day and it had to drive me 70 miles home at the end of it then to work the next day. I've since done two more of them and still have yet to use the tensioner pulley I bought. All of them I've replaced the water pump, but only did the oil pump on the first truck I worked on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well alright then 800XL, I'll look around some more for an oil pump and go ahead and do it...what about the tensioner, do I replace that too??? thanx for the help everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.