Yes scrap it now00.00%
Yes Part out, Then scrap it1257.14%
Yes pick it clean & scrap the shell628.57%
No fight the mold & rust314.29%

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The White '89 (non-running project) has a lot of mold/mildew inside, it seems to be a rusted inner body panel someplace. The rig has 213k on it. 2.6L / 5spd. The rad is shot, the A/C has leaked down to 0 pressure, It was previously in a front end accident (which I just recently found out about). The lower dash cover is broken, stereo ripped & cut out. Cracked windshield. Its been sitting at my friends house for almost 18mo, he doesn't mind but his neighbors are getting tired of us rolling it around his parking pad. It has sat for about 4yrs now. I need rigs that I can sit my kids in without having to do a full interior swap & a mold farm just isn't it. I don't know if I have it in me to take on a full gut & refurbish...

I have a lot of money into the motor but NOTHING into the chassis yet. I am thinking one of these options

Yes scrap it now
Just cut ties & have a mobile scrapper come get it as is.

Yes Part out, Then scrap it
Sell off whatever people will buy, then call in the scrappers.

Yes pick it clean & scrap the shell
Horde everything I can in the shed, then call in the scrappers.

No fight the mold & rust
Just dump whatever $$ it takes to restore this chassis.

Thanks for any input / opinions / other ideas y'all may come up with.

~psguardian

EDITED for clarity

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You're gonna have to be more specific about what's going on with it, if it only has a rusted panel and some mildew, then keep it, if those are just the straw that broke the camels back, then that's a different story...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So, if I'm reading this right, it needs a radiater, windshield, and ac doesn't work.. A little ? <or allot!) of rust.

You mentioned having a bit of $$$ in the engine. Does the truck run well? Drivetrain? Transmission?

If all it needs is a radiator and a windshield..

FIX IT MAN!

A good hours elbow grease can deal with any mold issue easily. Frame ROT on the otherhand...

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No DigitalDrifter you've missed the biggest part of the issue, this is a non-running project. I got it with a seized engine. I have rebuilt the motor, but as I turn my attention to the chassis & cab I see If it's fabric, it's damp & moldy & mildew covered. The rust is of unkown depth on the frame, but atleast one panel in the cargo area has rusted out behind the interior paneling. Previous owner just told me it's always been 'damp', she just kept putting 'dry-z-air' packets in back & cracking the windows on hot days to avoid 'fogging up'... This tells me it's been an issue for a long while on this rig.

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Since rebuilding the motor have you started it? Does it run? Drive? Details bro!

But in the end, its all about what you feel for it. If you don't have a personal connection with this truck, don't waste time on it.

Isuzu's are quirky, and sometimes/always a journey, not a destination.

If its sat so long, its not a priority and its wasting space.. use the resources from selling it into something you enjoy.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The motor is still on the stand waiting for a healthy recipient.

I just picked up a '92 Trooper that runs, but isn't in the best of shape... I'm thinking part it out & use the funds earned to better the 2nd Gen... Once its stable & I get another small lump of $$ buy something with a 4ZE1 that just blew a head gasket & drop my fresh rebuild into it.

~psguardian

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
MY guess is you have a leak from the screws through the luggage rack strips. That's not a hard fix but mold is bad news and hard to get rid of.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have scene a few clean non runing first gens out there for cheap. Just saw one for 700 with a bad head gasket with the 4cyl.I would save your fresh drivetrain and pick up a clean but no running first gen when you can and swap motor in.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, the more I sit on it, the more sure I am.

The '89 goes, I just need to decide on how.

1. Horde all the bits n pieces: external lighting, 5spd trans(rebuild?), ecu, intermittent wiper arm, switches & relays, CV's (rebuild?).

2. Sell all of the above items.

3. Trade all of the above items for 2nd gen Trooer stuff.

4. Say to hell with it all & sell /scrap it whole.

After it's gone, find a nice rig with a blown 4ZE1, maybe another Trooer or a 4x4 Amigo to stick my motor in.

~psguardian

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would be interested in the intermittent wipers. and cruise if you have it. Also not sure if they are the same but my ac was removed and would like to put on back in. I have the compressor but no lines ect.
I have a 89 trooper with the 2.8 and doing a 3.4 swap soon.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
squatch said:
MY guess is you have a leak from the screws through the luggage rack strips. That's not a hard fix but mold is bad news and hard to get rid of.
Pine Sol.

I inherited a 5th wheel RV that had been through a flood.

The PO had cut a hole in the wall. He had planned on putting a trap door on it, so he could pass firewood into the trailer through there.

That hole was still in the wall, when it went through the flood.

It was sitting with three other RV's of equal size.

I was there and watched the other three slowly pop up like bubbles, and float away down the river.

This one sat there, because instead of acting like a bubble, it filled with water through that hole.

That is the bright side.

The bad news was that everything that was in the 'black tank', got mixed with all that flood water, and soaked the entire interior of the trailer.

So it was a huge job, to clean it all up.

Mold was everywhere.

I did some experimenting.

Used bleach as was suggested, at first. First diluted, then full strength when the diluted didn't do much.

Only thing that nearly killed, was me. All the mold came right back.

Then I tried the Pine Sol.

I'd been scrubbing, then rinsing, then scrubbing, then rinsing then scr... well, you get the drift.

I discovered that if all I did was spray the Pine Sol, (diluted half and half with water), from a spray bottle that used to hold window cleaner... Onto the mold... No wipedown afterward. No scrubbing. Etc...

The mold died. Most of it disappeared from view, on it's own. And more than a year later... had still not come back.

Once I saw that, I picked the dirtiest, thickest moldy area I could find, and just sprayed it down until it was wet with the pine sol mix. Then I didn't touch it at all. Next day, mold gone, and never came back.

Don't let those 'mold abatement professionals' anywhere near your moldy stuff. Just use Pine Sol. It works !!!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
prospector1 said:
I would be interested in the intermittent wipers. and cruise if you have it. Also not sure if they are the same but my ac was removed and would like to put on back in. I have the compressor but no lines ect.
I have a 89 trooper with the 2.8 and doing a 3.4 swap soon.
I don't know that the Isuzu I-4 & GM v6 A/C lines are compatible.

Keep an eye out in the classified section. I'm going to put a sale / part / trade thread in there tomorrow. If Seladors trick with pinesol works the seats would be good for someone local, but I'm not holding my breath for any takers there.

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
AND WHY DO YOU WANT/NEED A\C IN N\W OREGON :?: :?:

the all time record high is 107F and its only happened three times in two different years, its been 1 and 2/3ish years since we where over 100F

0.01C
granted 90+ with out it stinks, but Portland "averages" only 11ish days a year with a high temperature above 90F

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
trooper T/diesel said:

the all time record high is 107F and its only happened three times in two different years, its been 1 and 2/3ish years since we where over 100F

0.01C
granted 90+ with out it stinks, but Portland "averages" only 11ish days a year with a high temperature above 90F
I like to have AC when it gets anything over about 83 degrees.

And even if there are only 11 days a year with swealtering heat, what's the point in suffering for even those 11 days, if you don't have to ?

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Scavenge the good stuff off of it, and post for sale... the glass, any pannels, guages.. you know...

·
Registered
155 Posts
trooper T/diesel said:

0.01C
Yes the 11 days would suck with kids complaing. The other thing. It does get hot on the east side of the Cascades. Or if I am going to go on any road trips it would be nice to have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.