Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, someone (forget who) mentioned that their shocks were hitting their larger Indy 4x4 tie rods. Is this common for you who have upgraded to the larger 4x4 tie rods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

Jay said:
A while back, someone (forget who) mentioned that their shocks were hitting their larger Indy 4x4 tie rods. Is this common for you who have upgraded to the larger 4x4 tie rods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,560 Posts
You need to adjust your tie rods so that a flat side of the hex bar is flat to the shock. This should provide clearance. I'm running OME shocks which are pretty big and mine clear this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
hey jay
i started that thread on the indy tie rods.
i had already done what was recommended, turning the flat side towards the shock, but that only worked on one side (barely). the other side still scrapes the shock. my trooper is still not driveable, i'm working on a gas tank lift and tranny cooler now, so i don't know how it will effect the steering when i finally do get it running. so, if anyone else has had this problem, let us know what the outcome will be.

cheers, john (from pedro)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,560 Posts
govno90 said:
hey jay
i started that thread on the indy tie rods.
i had already done what was recommended, turning the flat side towards the shock, but that only worked on one side (barely). the other side still scrapes the shock. my trooper is still not driveable, i'm working on a gas tank lift and tranny cooler now, so i don't know how it will effect the steering when i finally do get it running. so, if anyone else has had this problem, let us know what the outcome will be.

cheers, john (from pedro)
Sounds like maybe you have something bent in your front end if 1 side clears and the other doesn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I'm running the OME shocks from Indy4x (3inch lift) and my tie rods seem to rub one side at a time when turning full lock. My solution: try not to turn full lock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
squatch said:
govno90 said:
hey jay
i started that thread on the indy tie rods.
i had already done what was recommended, turning the flat side towards the shock, but that only worked on one side (barely). the other side still scrapes the shock. my trooper is still not driveable, i'm working on a gas tank lift and tranny cooler now, so i don't know how it will effect the steering when i finally do get it running. so, if anyone else has had this problem, let us know what the outcome will be.

cheers, john (from pedro)
Sounds like maybe you have something bent in your front end if 1 side clears and the other doesn't.
you could be right. the front end looks as though it has been repainted, but i see no body filler anywhere and there are no hammer marks on the inside of the fender wells. the side that doesn't rub has about a 1/8" clearance. the side that does rub pushes the shock tube about 1/16". that figure might be more because as you know, the shock is firmly bolted so it doesn't allow much movement.
so if i left it like this and it ends up wearing a hole in the shock, would this cause a problem??

cheers, john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey fellas thanks for the replies. I want to someday install the beefier tie rods so it's interesting reading of others' experiences.

govno90 said:
hey jay
i started that thread on the indy tie rods.
i had already done what was recommended, turning the flat side towards the shock, but that only worked on one side (barely). the other side still scrapes the shock. my trooper is still not driveable, i'm working on a gas tank lift and tranny cooler now, so i don't know how it will effect the steering when i finally do get it running. so, if anyone else has had this problem, let us know what the outcome will be.

cheers, john (from pedro)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top