Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of new to 4x4 modification, so any help you could offer would be great. I've got a 95' Passport (1st gen) with what appears to be a 3" Calmini lift kit with the Camini shocks. The mod was done before I got the truck, so I figure the shocks have about 60-70k on them. The ride is extremely harsh. I want to go with something else, I'm not sure what I need to look for in a replacement. Does anyone have any experience with the Pro Comp MX6 adjustable shocks.

Also, both lower bal joints and one upper are badly torn. I'm going to be replacing them, and was considering adding spacers. The ride is extremely harsh and the front wheels don't seem to have enough travel. I've got some knocking in the front end when I'm in 4wd over rough terain, especially when I change directions (foward - reverse). I think it's the ball joints, but is there anything else I should look for? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Starchild-
The only aftermarket upgrade for ball joint spacers, I believe, is for the upper ball joints. If the seal is torn, replace it, or find someone who can do it for you. Spacers are to correct front wheel camber, after lift. Some will tell you spacers are necessary, others might just want to sell you something. If your lift is less than 3", a ball joint flip might be all that's necessary (after repairing seal). Check out 4X4 wire.com step by step on doing a ball joint flip! My 96 Rodeo has a 3" lift and the ball joint flip was all I needed. But each to his own. Also, whenever messing about with IFS lifts, get your front end checked and aligned when finished. As far as the MX-6 Shocks, I, personally, don't use them. (I run the Pro Comp ES-3000s and love them!) but if you can afford it, and can truly benefit from an adjustable damping system, then go for it! General rule of thumb when buying 4X4 upgrades-the most expensive part isn't always the best for what you're going to use it for. It's just expensive! If your ride is harsh, check out the condition of your leaf springs. Sometimes the add-a-leaf system can firm-up the ride to uncomfortable (again, depending on the person) levels. Hope this helps! Also, check out Matt at Independant 4X.com as well as Darlington Off-Road. Great sites and Very Good Products!! Those guys know their ZuZus!

Aloha, ToddZ

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the help.
According to my Haynes manual, there are ball joints on both the upper and lower control arm. I have found repalcement parts for both. The one on the upper control arm would obviously be the one to flip, which sounds like the thing to do. I've had one upper ball joint replaced, and the boots on others are in pretty bad shape. I guess it couldn't hurt to replace the boots. But I think I might pass on the spacers. I found those ES3000's on Independent4x.com. I think I'll probably go with them. Much more reasonable price. It sound like if I tell Matt what I've got, he'll make sure I get what I need. I've read good things.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Starchild-
You won't be sorry with the 3000s. Replacing the seals on your balljoints needs to be done carefully. It can be a little tricky. Good luck!-- If you follow the step-by-step on the 4X4 wire.(and photos) The B.J. flip is probably all you'll need, look into droop snubbers and new bump stops if you really want to be thorough-This should improve your downward travel, camber as well as ride quality. Worked for me! And lastly, stick with Matt at Indy-Super nice guy, Great products and good company, with reasonable prices. Best of luck and Aloha--

ToddZ/Hawaii
96 Rodeo 3"lift (Flip,T-Bar crank,shackles & add-a-leaves,KN filter, Warn Hubz, Tornado, Pro Comp ES-300s, Altezza Euro gunmetals, B-Stone 285/70/16 ATs & Loving It!!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't come accross snubbers yet. I'll look into getting replacement seals. There is very little play in the wheels, so replacing the seal should work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.