Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke the plastic clip that holds the shift cable in place on the transmission body. Now it won't go into park properly and I have to start it in neutral. It seems to me that the shift cable from the Rodeo is compatible. If I go to Vato Zone or something, they only sell after market stuff from B&M and similar products. Local parts place said they had one from a Rodeo for $60. After market stuff is brand new and in the $55 range.

Which should I get?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
When the one on my Rodeo Sport broke I secured it to the bracket with 2 electrical tie wraps and it works satisfactorily. If you buy a new cable the 1998 to 2003 Rodeo part will fit, an Amigo/Rodeo Sport is basically a 2 door Rodeo. The part number is 8-97124-855-3 and also fits Honda Passport. The OEM price is about 60 bucks.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The plastic thingy that breaks is a length adjuster. Pop the cable off the transmission linkage stud and manually place the transmission in Park. Place the shift lever in Park turn the adjuster until the length is correct and pop the cable back on the stud. Using tie wraps or whatever secure the adjuster so it can't move in the clamp. If that won't work, google the part number and you will see several online dealers where you can order a new one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I crawled under there again tonight, and spent well over an hour messing around with it, only to be slightly worse off than I was before.

The issue isn't that the cable isn't the right length, it is that instead of pushing the transmission all the way back into park, the cable just bulges to one side and keeps the tranny in reverse. I have that plastic thing secured enough that it will allow me to operate the vehicle, but again, won't go into park.

I can not see what I'm doing down there to figure out how to remove the cable from the linkage. I also can not figure out how to adjust the cable length with the plastic part that I broke. Is there any way I can get some more specific directions? I'm reluctant to try and figure it out myself, because that is how I break things in the first place.

Just in case it matters, the way I broke the length adjuster in the first place, apparently, is that I was trying to loosen the bolt that holds the shift lever arm to the transmission, so that I could replace the seal that is behind the shift lever. I put a ratchet on that bolt, and when I tried to loosen it, the transmission shifted from park toward L. I didn't realize at the time what was happening, but I figured it out later. I moved the shift lever all the way to the L position, and tried to loosen the bolt from there. The bolt didn't even budge, but just the play in the shift lever popped the ears off of that length adjuster. I don't know how that even happened, since now the cable isn't even firm enough to put the truck back into park. Has anyone else done something like this? I hate when I break things like this. It makes me feel very stupid.

Thank you for the part number by the way. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Disconnect the cable from the transmission and manually try to put the transmission in Park, you may have damaged the shift mechanism inside the transmission trying to remove the nut on the gear selector shaft. If it is working properly you can easily shift the transmission though all positions by operating the shift lever by hand. The only thing holding the cable end to the shift lever stud is friction.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buster28 said:
Disconnect the cable from the transmission.
This is where I get stuck. I'm nervous about yanking on this because if I break it in the process, I'm screwed as this is my only vehicle. Do you just put a finger behind the cable and pull?

I can very easily shift the transmission through all gears with the lever.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The eye on end of the cable slips over a ball on the end of a stud attached to the transmission shift lever, you can "pop" it off the stud with finger power or a flat blade screwdriver.

Once the cable is removed see if you can use the lever to put the transmission into Park. If it won't go into Park you have a problem inside the transmission or the Range Mode Switch is mechanically preventing it from going into Park. If it goes into Park and the Console shifter is in Park the cable should be long enough to slip back onto the stud without moving the lever if it is adjusted to the correct length.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've got a spare shift linkage collecting dust in my garage right now. It actually came off a 2nd Gen Amigo. If you're interested PM me.

-Robert

·
Registered
676 Posts
No problem buddy just let me know what you find

-Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts