Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need some help guys. The trooper is running hot. (above the half way mark). Strange, when it warms up for the first time it climbs (temp gauge) to almost 3/4 then comes down after a minute or so. Then just stays hot. I think this is killing performance and my engine. Is there a way to get it running cooler without buying amymore parts right now? I probably need a radiator and this after market thermo is probably acting up. However, I need to drive to work tomorrow about an hour away and I dont want to run it this hot. Is there a way to get it running cooler? Someone said they run straight coolant with no probs and it runs 20% cooler. Is this ok? What about drilling a hole in my thermo? Any acvise would help. Thanks guys! Im kinda up a creek right now.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
If the stat has no hole it would be best to get one that does or drill a small hole. Straight water runs cooler than antifreeze, however, antifreeze (properly mixed will give you freeze protection and it has anti-corrosive properties.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is sticking. You could always remove it if you had to.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks. I think ill try drill a couple little holes. My other thermo was stuck wide open and I think it ran too cool, which I understand will hurt the engine. I dont know from there.?? Thanks for the support guys!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah. I think the fan clutch isnt working good. Is there a way to tighten it up so it runs more?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I gotta put this out there. I just noticed my over flow container was near the minimum line, it was filled a couple of weeks ago when I did the stat. Im thinking im loosing coolant into the cylinders. :shock: this has been my biggest fear. Im hoping one of you will say "no. You dont have to replace your head gasket, get some of that gasket leak stuff from auto zone and youll be fine :D ". Am I dreaming? Is this why im running hot?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
It could be. Stop leak tends to plug up water paths and in turn you get internal hot spots. I've used it on rigs before in hopes. For an emergency radiator leak or something along those lines it works. It might help the head gasket last a bit longer but it's prolonging the inebitable. I've tried bars leak/ and Lucas stop leak ... My ford had cracked heads so nothing was going to be a miracle on that. If you don't have time or money then try it. That's all I can say. Flush the system really well when you do the tear down.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
bradzuzu said:
It could be. Stop leak tends to plug up water paths and in turn you get internal hot spots. I've used it on rigs before in hopes. For an emergency radiator leak or something along those lines it works. It might help the head gasket last a bit longer but it's prolonging the inevitable. I've tried bars leak/ and Lucas stop leak ... My ford had cracked heads so nothing was going to be a miracle on that. If you don't have time or money then try it. That's all I can say. Flush the system really well when you do the tear down.
X2

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tear down huh? :lol: sounds like im doing a gasket job. Oh well. Im gonna try and get my hands on a compression tester this weekend. That should tell me all I need to know right? I drilled a hole in the thermo today and she ran at about a 1/4 hot. At one point it got almost to half way. Is this bad on my head hoping its not cracked and its just a gaket? Thanks guys! I may be doing a gasket swap soon. I wonder how much time and $ that will set me back.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
A good gasket set will run about 70-80 bucks I think. I trust felpro for most jobs. Don't scimp there or you'll be haten life. If it runs good then you might be able to just drop/unbolt the exaust manifold and pull the head intake and all. You can pull the upper section off to lighten the load!!
a compression test may or may not tell you the condition of the gasket. Just depends where it's leaking. Mine was seeping on the exaust side the first time. I got to do it again because I used a cheap brand (told that it was really good) and it blew between 3&4 and was about to pop between 1&2 ... The head was perfect, not warped at all. But it still went south on me one fine day!!!:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright. Well wish me luck. Hopefully its not too bad. You know, Ive had an exhaust leak that wont go away no matter what I do. Maybe its like what you said , leaking at the exhaust side. ? Hhmm. Lets see if a comp test tells me anything. Thanks man! Hope for the best :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
jon90troop said:
Well, I gotta put this out there. I just noticed my over flow container was near the minimum line, it was filled a couple of weeks ago when I did the stat. Im thinking im loosing coolant into the cylinders. :shock: this has been my biggest fear. Im hoping one of you will say "no. You dont have to replace your head gasket, get some of that gasket leak stuff from auto zone and youll be fine :D ". Am I dreaming? Is this why im running hot?
I wont say no, but Im having a similar problem. The line from the cap to the overflow tank on mine is loose. The coolant drips out of the cap when its hot. You can tell because I have antifreeze stains on the top of my hood from the fan flinging it. Something I should fix...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, fixing that would be a good idea :D . Maybe my coolant loss isnt a gasket. Thatd be nice! However, I still suspect a leak in that head somewhere :?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Need to get, borrow, etc a simple coolant system pressure tester and hook it up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. Ive got a buddy that works at a radiator shop. Think ill have him run a test. This wont tell me anything about the head though right? Just the cap and hoses?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Yes it will. Take it to your buddy and run the test. If it doesn't hold pressure, it'll be the radiator, hoses, heater core, cracked block, head, head gasket, radiator cap, etc. He should be able to quickly make that determination with a visual along with the pressure test. Have you checked the color of the plugs and does one or more look "steamed cleaned" as compared to others? Have you performed an engine compression test?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have a crack it's possible for the crack to "heal" once the engine is running. You probably won't get oil in the coolant nor coolant in the oil....you'll have a massive amount of steam when the engine is cold and bubbles streaming into the radiator; coolant will push out into the overflow tank; and the upper hose will pressurize quickly if the cap is left tight on the radiator.

The problem too is once the engine warms up the the crack heals due to expansion....so a compression test on the engine will show normal pressures and the cooling system likely will pass too...that is until the engine gets stone cold again.

The thing to do would be to compare all the cylinder pressures and cooling system pressure when cold and again when hot. If there's a crack in a head it should show up as a change in the pressure reading in one cylinder.

For example when cold you might get readings like 140-140-80-140-140-140 and when hot 150-150-150-150-150-150. That would probably indicate a crack that has closed when the engine is warm.

Head gasket leaks, on the other hand, likely won't heal when warm and will constantly stream bubbles into the radiator neck along with steam and/or brownish goo on your dipstick and bottom of the oil fill plug. You may also see brownish residue in the radiator.

Head cracks are the hardest to track down without physically looking at the head.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks so much guys. Just reading, im pretty sure ive got a cracked head or a leaking gasket. Havnt had a test done yet. But its idling rough, lacking power, and ive noticed air in the coolant when I warmed the engine up with the cap off and reved the engine. Ive seen bubbles on the dip stick when hot, lots of steam in the morning and missing. I dont know if there could be anymore clues except coolant literally pouring out of the tail pipe. :lol: its really not funny though. Thanks for the info! Shooter, I looked up that link and as you can see, ive got most of those symptoms. Next is the pressure test. Thanks, youve been a great help on everything! Not sure what ill do if that head is gone. Time for an engine maybe?

1 - 20 of 124 Posts