Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started when I got a good deal on eagle alloys wrapped in decent tread super swampers. The second I mounted them I was unpleasantly surprised with shaking. I felt it hard in my seat, but also in the steering wheel. In the back right I mounted the "worst" swamper that had uneven wear from lack of alignment from previous owner. So I replaced that tire with a new one hoping to fix the shaking. When the shop mounted it, they said the wheel was slightly bent, but they didn't seem overly concerned with it. I go back out and sure enough I got the shakes as bad as before when I hit 35 mph. There are no shakes under 35 mph, they are smooth as mud terrains can be.

So I went back in and the shop got the tire balancer down to 0.25 from 0.5 (not totally sure what these numbers mean, but 0 is perfectly balanced). I go and still I got shakes, especially still in the steering wheel.

Would you guys recommend a four wheel balance next? I have a coupon for 20 dollars to do this. Or should I stop throwing money at this?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know a few people that let their Swampers get wonky and they vibrated like crazy. Once they had uneven wear they couldn't do anything about it. For a twenty dollar four wheel balnce I'd say it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm thinking since the wheel is bent that is why you're still getting shaking and maybe that caused the previous uneven wear. You might want to get a new rim to save your new tire and stop the shakes.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
NOT trying to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you have the bent rim(s) straightened AND have good smooth tires, it's GOING to shake!
You are in the very same boat I am in.
Sad thing is, after a good tire has been on a bad rim for quite a while, most likely the tire is now worn into a "pattern" that matches the bent rim. So you can put on all new rims, with bad tires, and it will still shake.
Or you can put on brand new tires on bent rims, and it will still shake.
Sorry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was so distracted by that one wheel with its bad wear and slight bend that I was sure that it must be that. Well today I was driving and looked at my front left tire and I saw that was shaking a ton. Upon further inspection of this wheel I see where the wheel weights WERE, there is just glue residue. Maybe they got knocked off. I knew that po tried to sell the wheels to a guy with a full size but they didnt fit the large rotor. Maybe this dude knocked off the weights to gain just a little more room for the rotor with the intention of situating the weights on the outside... idk.

So I'm going to get the balance on all wheels tomorrow and hopefully all will be good enough. The tire that I replaced was only 40 bucks, it's a thornbird so it doesnt match the other ssr's but for 40 bucks I could care less. I actually found another new thornbird spare a bit aways that I will pick up too if I can get these wheels running decently

1 - 5 of 5 Posts