Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time Lurker, First time Poster. Thank goodness for PlanetIsuzoo as I have learned alot from it so far. Am impressed at the knowledge and technical skills many possess on this forum. Hope to one day reach a tad of your level. I have basic mechanic skills: oil changes, electrical and some cosmetic. Not too skillful in anything that will require ratchets, wd40 or 1 hour or more of labor.

Here is my issue: I have a 97 Rodeo Manual 3.2 V6 4x4 with 145,000 miles. Just purchased 3 weeks ago and have recently "discovered" a hidden problem it may have had or I caused it to have.

When I drive in stop and go traffic around town after doing errands for about 1 hour and turning off and turning on the engine at my stops the following happens sometimes (not always):

If I am at a red light or in a traffic jam, as I start to accelerate in 1st or 2nd gear, acceleration is sluggish or hesitant when I gently step on gas pedal in 5-10 MPH traffic UNLESS I step hard on pedal it kind of jerks then accelerates normal. The whole time it hesitates I could feel the car vibrate through my gas pedal.

When traffic clears out and I am cruising at 30-40 PMH and above it goes back to normal. Engine is quiet, shifts normal and stuff. No smoke, no noise.

First time this happened, I got really scared, thought tranny or engine was dying. This only happens after 30 mins or more of driving around town and various stops.

On a normal day where I just use it to drive straight to work and back, this issue does not surface and that is what is strange.

What I have tried so far: Cleaned out my air filter, changed oil to Castrol GTX 10W-30, use only 93 octane. Issue still persists.

What I was going to try next to see if issue goes away: Grease job on differentials? Change tranny fluid? Change fuel filter? Change spark plugs? Change spark plug wires?

Want to try the least expensive things before taking it to a stealership or joe the mechanic which will most likely be Amateur Night and spend unecessary time, stress and cash! Your input and 2 cents will greatly be appreciated if any of you have had a similar issue, thanks in advance team!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ISsue has been FIXED!!! Wanted to let all know and not let you hanging! Believe it or not, it was the Catalytic Converter. It was CLOGGED. We removed it and put a straight pipe and truck runs like new! Unbelievable!

I do not live in the USA where there is Federal Law to have this Cat installed. Here in El Salvador, it's not mandated nor anything like that. Out here, you are lucky to even own a car, yet a lone a 6 Cyl 4X4 lol so there currently is no law in regards to emissions.

I had thought it was the clutch, bad plugs, bad fuel filter, bad tranny and even a bad engine. Turned out to be the cat! Tested for 150 miles and no more hesitation or jerking! Hopes this helps people out there with similar symptoms

By the way, it only cost me $12 USD to remove cat and put a straight pipe. Cant beat this for an economical attempt to solve problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.