Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cranking you torsion bars up front, out back you still have to level it out, well you could get new springs, or do some other wick whack... buy shackles... but cant you just make your own shackles? Ive heard around that 1 inch on the shackle gives 1/2 of lift... So if i make a shackles with 4 inches.. that should proviede me with 2 inches of lift.. Let me know what everyone thinks about this..

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You can definately make your own shackles. I've known a couple people who have done just that. I don't know the exact dimensions, but in some cases they were longer than those commercially available. You have the ratio right, half the increase in shackle length in lift. It seems like most people use 1/4" plate or so. I'd go by what Independent4x or darlington-offroad use, if they specify, and then make it a little longer to suit your needs. I wouldn't go for more than a 2" lift with only shackles though.

HIH
Andre

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I built my own, but I would caution you from trying to get two inches of lift out of shackles alone. I'd go with a combo of 3" longer than factory shackles and an add-a-leaf to get you about 3" of lift.

The reason for the caution is by lifting witht he shackle you rotate your rear end housing up in the front by using the longer shackles. This leads to u-joints going out and dirveline vibrations. You can correct this by shimming the rearend at the spring pads with a 4 degree shim but this is a bandaid in my opinion. It's better to do a full on lift spring and keep the factory shackles, but that's cost prohibitive. The add-a-leaf-shackle combo is the best and most used solution.

My two cents,
Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies... Well what i think im gonna do is build a 4 and 1/2 inch shackle ( only 1/2" longer than darlinton off-road uses) and see how much lift i get out of that, and then adjust the torsion bars upfront accoringling. Do you still think that will not be safe?
Thanks

EDIT- After Going out and looking at my rear leaf springs, they look like they already have a set installed ?? :?: I have the LS version with the snowflake rims and 31's... Could this be a problem?

·
Registered
566 Posts
The stock shackles aren't like normal shackles. The bolts are welded to the side pieces, so there are 2 L pieces. As opposed to a normal shackle that is shaped like H. Its hard to describe. I think the stock shackles are around 4 inches in length, it might be 3.75". Why do you think having an LS would be a problem? Just like any other rodeo...

Mike
________
Honda B20A Engine Specifications

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok nevermind, after looking at the picture at D.O.R. it seems right, if i just make 4 1/2" shackles and put holes in them..

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I think the ones I built for my trooper are 6.75" from center hole to center hole. They are just a tad longer than DOR's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Thanks bigpoppax2, how wide are yours? Depending on how wide, they will be around 6 1/2"s and made out of 1/4" plate... How does that sound?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I made mine out of 3/8" and used 2x2 for bracing material in the middle. I will say one thing, make sure you get the center section wide enough or you will have to grind on your spring to get them to fit (ask me how I know this) :roll: Amature mistake.

Also don't even try and source the 18mm bolts you'll end up with more money in the shackles doing them yourself than buying them. Use 3/4" bolts. You'll just have to drill out your bushings a bit. It isn't much.

That's about it. Make sure you buy new bushings, your old ones will be trashed unless you or someone has changed them recently.

Joe

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pretty much what Joe said.....

I would not use 1/4" steel for the sideplates if you are going to make them that long. I actually DID make a set of shackles using 1/4"X1.5" steel and I never had a bit of trouble with them. They were only a couple of inches longer than stock though. The new ones I made are made of 3/8"X2" but they are about 4" longer than stock. Just use SAE 3/4" grade 8 bolts. They'll fit just fine. Also, make sure you use locknuts or put locktite on the nuts so you won't have to worry about them coming loose. And Like Joe mentioned, don't make them too narrow or it will be a real pain to install them over the bushings. After you take the old shackles off you can reassemble them and measure the width and length and figure out exactly what dimensions you want/need.
You may also need to buy a set of shims to put under your spring perches if you develop a vibration after you install longer shackles. I would HIGHLY recommend spending a little extra and buying solid steel shims if you do need them. My wife and I were stranded by a set of stupid aluminum shims that broke in half and fell out on the trail. :x

P.S. You can have my old 1/4" shackles I mentioned above if you want them. They will give you approx. an inch of lift.... if that's enough for you. Like I said, I never had a bit of problem with them. They also have grade 8 washers tacked on where the bolts go thru to keep them from wearing and make them a little stronger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Thanks Dave! But Im gonna go with 2 inch shackles... I appreaciate the offer though! If I can ever get around to make them! haha.. :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
hey there i made a set that were 8" over all and 1.25" wide and just over .25" thick. i put the holes 1" from each end with a 1"x3" tube in the middle. all i have to say is that it works perfectly just ignore the guys sayin that you halve to get shackles and adaleaf and so on. it rides so much beter now it is a night and day diff front and rear. as farr as the front i took out the extinsion pads and i cranked the bars until there was about 1/2" between the uper a arm and the stop and i still say it was werth it it rides better and it will fit 33x10.50 tires at full stuff so good luck

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
just ignore the guys sayin that you halve to get shackles and adaleaf and so on.
I have to respectfully disagree. You may have done it all with a shackle and not had any problems out of it. But I know your pinion angle is horrid. Especially with the Amigo which has a considerably shorter rear dirve shaft. I didn't say it couldn't be done. I've seen lots of people do stupid (IE unsafe) things to trucks to get lift. I've seen 6" lift blocks. Plain stupidity. I've seen steering that's just as good as chicken wire holding parts together. There's a few things that's not worth skimping on. Brakes and steering would be my big two I don't skimp on. Suspension being a close third.

it rides so much beter now it is a night and day diff front and rear.
How is this possible when you changed nothing about the rear spring setup? All you did was adjust the ride height, and tilt your pinion skyward.

Did you use shims to get your pinion angle back where it should be?

I'd say you were lucky that you had a single piece driveshaft to begin with. If you would have been doing this to a rodeo you would have had some major vibrations out of the two piece shaft.

There is a limit to how far is smart to go with the extended shackles. If you disagree what do you think too far would be? There was a general consensus that the ones Matt and Joe sell are about as far as most everyone is comfortable in going with the shackles. There was a post about this a long time ago on the 4x4wire because a guy was making shackles and selling them on ebay. They were like 6" longer than stock :lol:

I'm glad you haven't had any problems out of your truck with the way you have lifted it, but I'd say you will go through u-joints much quicker.

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts