Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way of finding out if my 'Zu service records? Is there a database of VIN #'s I can search thru to tell if the previous owner had the transmission serviced?

I'm approaching 140K and I know the Axioms are known for somewhat bad tranny's. After doing some searching online, it appears most people that had this problem, had it around 80K or so. Well I'm almost double that and I've never had a problem with it. I'd like to do some preventative maintenance now, rather than some drop some heavy $ later to rebuild or replace it. The main reason I'm wanting to get it checked out is because of the trip we're about to take where we will add 6K to the odometer. The tech at the Isuzu place near here told me they should be serviced every 100K.

I've always been told by my dad that if the transmission isn't bothering me, I shouldn't bother it. Meaning leave it alone.

The Axiom tranny's are so weird because they can't be checked. They're sealed because they're "maintenance free." The only way to check it is to take it to a certified tech (lucky for me, the Isuzu parts & service place about is only about an hour from here.)

So what are ya'lls recommendations? Leave it alone or what?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Hmmm. By the title, I thought you wanted a copy of my DD214.

I don't think the internet has gotten that explicit yet - I mean, going to people's homes and scanning their personal automotive service records is somewhat of an inconvenience to the homeowner and raises all sort of Constitutional questions.

But feel free to start this service if you can enlist the guys from LulzSec.

Oh - and you CAN check the fluid level. It's the speedometer drive -just take the sensor out and there's a small stick on it or an indicator you can figure out.

Now I have to give myself a beating for letting this secret out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SurferJoe said:

I don't think the internet has gotten that explicit yet - I mean, going to people's homes and scanning their personal automotive service records is somewhat of an inconvenience to the homeowner and raises all sort of Constitutional questions.

Oh - and you CAN check the fluid level. It's the speedometer drive -just take the sensor out and there's a small stick on it or an indicator you can figure out.

Come on, there's no reason for the sarcasm or belittlement. I know there's not a record of every bit of maintenance that's ever been done to every car.

I don't know if there's a maintenance record for my car. If it was serviced at a former Isuzu Dealership, is there a way for me to A.) Find that out & B.) Find out what type of service was performed?

I thought Isuzu might have kept a detailed record of the types of maintenance they performed based on VIN #'s, but maybe not.

Are you absolutely positive that's how you check the fluid level in a 4L30E? Everything I've seen tells me I can't check it unless I pull the plugs from the bottom & even then I need a special tool or I risk damaging the plugs.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Don't mind Joe, he must be on one of his moods again. Just wait till he and Shooter get going! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're referencing to dealer records? I'd wager no. I'd say Jerry would be the best authority on that.

The 4L30 is the weak link and I've heard of conflicting reports on how to treat it. It probably wouldn't hurt to change the fluids if you don't know. However, don't get it flushed if it has high miles, that has led to problems for others in the past.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
There's no proprietary material gonna get out of a dealership I bet. I know that if someone wanted my service records of my customers, it wasn't gonna happen without a court order.

The internet, like I said - is just chock full of all sorts of data, but honestly unless the records were digitized and then sent to an outside server, then access is gonna be NO.

And for sure, if it wasn't digitized, then you'd have to pay someone to transcribe that data into a repository somewhere and then get permission to access it.

It was quite a feat to get CarFax online, and even it is restricted to paying primary parties and dealers who subscribe to it.

But it STILL looked like you wanted my DD-214.

Sorry you didn't see that I was greenin' ya.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
SurferJoe said:
There's no proprietary material gonna get out of a dealership I bet. I know that if someone wanted my service records of my customers, it wasn't gonna happen without a court order.

The internet, like I said - is just chock full of all sorts of data, but honestly unless the records were digitized and then sent to an outside server, then access is gonna be NO.

And for sure, if it wasn't digitized, then you'd have to pay someone to transcribe that data into a repository somewhere and then get permission to access it.

It was quite a feat to get CarFax online, and even it is restricted to paying primary parties and dealers who subscribe to it.

But it STILL looked like you wanted my DD-214.

Sorry you didn't see that I was greenin' ya.
JOE.S RIGHT , REGULAR MAINTANCE RECORDS WOULD ONLY BE KEPT AT THE DLR, THE ONLY RECORDS THAT WOULD BE KEPT NY THE MANUFACTURER WOULD BE IF THE VEH HAD BEEN REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY REPAIR OR A RECALL, AND NO WAY YOU WILL GET THOSE WITH OUT A COURT ORDER , IT ISNT VERY SAFE FOR A DLR TO RELEASE EVEN WARRANTY REPAIR ORDER FOR ANY ONE TO SEE , THAT IS PRIVATE ,PERSONAL INFO, A DLR CAN PULL THAT INFO UP BY THE VIN ,BUT HE COULD NOT RELEASE IT TO JUST ANY ONE , TOO BIG OF A LEGAL MESS, AND IF YOUR VEH WAS SERVICED AT AN INDEPENDENT FACILITY ,WHO IS GOING TO KEEP THAT TYPE OF RECORD, AND HOW WOULD YOU FIND OUT WHO. IF YOU DONT HAVE THE RECORD OF SERVICE IN THE CAR OR THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAS IT , YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK I AM AFRAID, AND ON CAR FAX THEY C AN ONLY STORE WHAT IS GIVEN TO THEM, ON ACCIDENTS , IF THE VEH IS EVEN SEVERLY DAMAGED AND REPAIRED CORRECTLY CAR FAX MAY NOT HAVE THE INFO AT ALL IF NOT GIVEN TO THEM ,NO ONE IS OBLIGATED TO GIVE THEM INFO ON ANYTHING, THEY ARE AN INFO GATHERING CO , SO THAT THEY CAN RESELL THAT SAME INFO.

·
Registered
555 Posts
RedStar said:
SurferJoe said:

Come on, there's no reason for the sarcasm or belittlement. I know there's not a record of every bit of maintenance that's ever been done to every car.

I don't know if there's a maintenance record for my car. If it was serviced at a former Isuzu Dealership, is there a way for me to A.) Find that out & B.) Find out what type of service was performed?

I thought Isuzu might have kept a detailed record of the types of maintenance they performed based on VIN #'s, but maybe not.

Are you absolutely positive that's how you check the fluid level in a 4L30E? Everything I've seen tells me I can't check it unless I pull the plugs from the bottom & even then I need a special tool or I risk damaging the plugs.
Well,I can tell you this. If you never had the transmission fluid changed,it needs to be changed and you could use a new filter. The plugs are just drain plugs like any other,you dont need a special tool, just the right sized sockets. Filling it can be a bit tricky and messy. Just do a search on here and you will find instructions. Still,if you are not mechanically inclined dont mess with it,just have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. If a mechanic told you it needs special tools,hes a liar. Go find another.

As for dealer records,go to www.Isuzu.com and look up your local Isuzu service center. I assume they can look up the service records like any other companies service center. Ive had other manufacturers service centers give me printouts of service that was performed on a car without problems. Isuzu may be different in this respect,but I would ask. There may also be a customer service line that can look this up for you.

As for what not to do. Dont flush it. Have it changed,but no matter how much the mechanic tries to sell you the flush,tell them no.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Not exactly what you are looking for, but my father got me in the practice of keeping records on all my vehicles. We use those mileage books you can pick up at Staples or Office Depot. They are used by business vehicles to keep track of mileage, gas fill ups (gallons and cost) as well as services. Since my father regularly has 15+ cars and he does almost all of his maintenance (or used to, now its mostly oil changes), he uses them to keep up with which one needs what when.

My VX has been documented since 1,400 miles when I got it up to yesterday when I put gas in at about 128,XXX miles. Every oil change, brake change, dealer service, tire rotation, etc has been written in with the date, the parts used, and how many miles it was done at. I'm on my second book.

I know that doesn't help your case, but it might help the next guy!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you're planning on taking it to the Isuzu center in Huntsville, just bring it by my house in Decatur and I'll do it for cheap. It isn't hard, just don't wear a good shirt or hat, because you're probably going to get an ATF bath.

·
Registered
299 Posts
"Come on, there's no reason for the sarcasm or belittlement"

sarcasm and belittlement
Is all retired people have left. I guess it comes with the wisdom we are soppose to have with our high millage. High milage in some cases meaning pain and suffering.

May the Blue bird of paradise sprinlle rose pedles on your path where ever you go.

John

PS
a good shifting 4l30e is a thing of beauty, You might check into upgrading your ATF to a pure synthetic.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I definitely wasn't gonna get it flushed, too many bad possibilities.

I took it to Century Automotive yesterday at lunch and let the tech there check it out, his name was Sal. Took it on a road test, opened it up, checked the fluid and told me it looked as good as any he's ever seen with 140K on it. Didn't charge me a dime. Great guy.

Keeping a super detailed log book is a good idea. I've kept a log book of everything I've had done to it, and my dad got me in that practice too. But hopefully there wont be a "next guy," I plan on keeping the Axiom as long as it's moving.

The only reason it worried me was because I've never had it changed, and I've got no idea if the last owner did or not, so at 140K, the prospect of traveling 6K across the country and back in 2 weeks time kinda got me thinking about it.

Hatfield, we almost bought a 2000 4WD Trooper yesterday in Huntsville & we still might. There's one on Autotrader.com that we were looking at, black w/ brushguard & some nice extras, only 86K miles. Just didn't feel confident enough to pull the trigger. I could tell the rotors needed some work and the interior needed some TLC, but that was about it. If I get it, we may have to go wheeling sometime soon!

Also, if you see any Troopers around town for sale, keep me in the loop, I'm definitely in the market for one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
RedStar said:
Hatfield, we almost bought a 2000 4WD Trooper yesterday in Huntsville & we still might. There's one on Autotrader.com that we were looking at, black w/ brushguard & some nice extras, only 86K miles. Just didn't feel confident enough to pull the trigger. I could tell the rotors needed some work and the interior needed some TLC, but that was about it. If I get it, we may have to go wheeling sometime soon!

Also, if you see any Troopers around town for sale, keep me in the loop, I'm definitely in the market for one.
That one on autotrader looks pretty nice, price is a little high though. I'm sure you could talk him down to in the 5k's. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one, but search craigslist, they pop up there. I'm down to go wheeling anytime. I wouldn't mind riding down to Cullman to check out Stoney Lonesome, I've heard it is pretty mild.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts