Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with the search function and can't find anything about wiring up seat heaters. I just disassembled some worn out trooper seats to remove the seat heating pads to try and reuse them. I don't see any noticeable breaks in the wiring and the seats look like a broken spring took them out of the action.

My wife has been wanting seat heaters in her 4Runner so I am considering tearing her seat covers off to install the heater pads in there and making my own wiring and switches. Is it a simple circuit? Battery +, to relay ,to heat pad, to ground? Activate the relay with a low amp circuit switch? How many amps do the seat heaters pull? I need to size the wires, relays, and fuses. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
555 Posts
N law said:
I'm having trouble with the search function and can't find anything about wiring up seat heaters. I just disassembled some worn out trooper seats to remove the seat heating pads to try and reuse them. I don't see any noticeable breaks in the wiring and the seats look like a broken spring took them out of the action.

My wife has been wanting seat heaters in her 4Runner so I am considering tearing her seat covers off to install the heater pads in there and making my own wiring and switches. Is it a simple circuit? Battery +, to relay ,to heat pad, to ground? Activate the relay with a low amp circuit switch? How many amps do the seat heaters pull? I need to size the wires, relays, and fuses. Any help would be awesome.
I'm going to make the assumption that they take 12V. You can look up the schematic in a service manual for the trooper. I think they are available for download. I assume they have two wires,so you your going to need to measure the resistance between those two wires with a ohm meter. You then use ohms law to determine the current they will draw when activated. Voltage/Resitance=current drawn where voltage is probably 12V and resistance is whatever you measured. Make sure you use large enough wires and heavy enough switches. The relay idea is not a bad one either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts