Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so my brother not to long ago got a '86 Trooper 2 which I beleive has the 2.3L 4 cyl. engine and something we (my brother and I) were planning on doing to it was giving it a 4" lift and some 33" super swamper tires.

Well before we do that personally I prefere solid axels over independent suspension when off-roading and so I was planning on doing a SAS and was wondering if it's possible to put a DANA-66 on the front and back? I read this article http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=5838 here but I wanted to use a heavier axle and a wider one for a bigger foot print to make it a bit harder to roll the car.

Now one thing I know is if I were to put tire as big as 33's the little 4-banger I got won't cut it b/c everything I've read says there way under-powered and I've heard that Isuzu had later made a diesel engine for the trooper's and was wondering how easy it would be to use the diesel that isuzu made for the later years to put into the '86 trooper 2?

So if someone could answer these questions I'd appreciate it and also if it is possible to do the diesel swap could someone post a link to where I could get a brand new crate one, please.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There was a 4 cyl diesel offered in 87, but it's only rated at 87 hp or so :? . Not much of an improvement.

The choice of axle for an SAS is pretty much personal preference, but I think D60's would be overkill for 33" tires. Full width 1/2 or 3/4 ton axles, front D44, rear 60 or such would probably do just fine with 35's. If you gear the axles low enough, the 4-banger should turn them alright, but it will never be a power house.

HIH,
Andre

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking for a power house but something that can take on the task. So your saying I should go with a D44 in the front and a D60 in the back? If I were to go and do that could I do it the same way as the guy did it in the other topic that I posted the link to? One thing that I do what to do is change the engine b/c mine is carburetted and that doesn't work so well off roading...

But what about Isuzu's new 3.1L in-line 4 OHV TDI engine? It gets 123HP @ 5200rpm and 274Nm of torque @ 3750rpm (apr. 202 ft/lbs). Could that fit in?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
But what about Isuzu's new 3.1L in-line 4 OHV TDI engine? It gets 123HP @ 5200rpm and 274Nm of torque @ 3750rpm (apr. 202 ft/lbs). Could that fit in?
Well, I made the assumption that you were in the States, and had no decent diesel option like us :cry:

If you have a modern Isuzu TD available to you, you might be looking at a full drivetrain and electronics swap. That's just my first impression. Bear in mind that I have absolutely no experience of any kind with those engines.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the US. In Washington but I have seen a few of the Isuzu's with the diesesl up here, however I was planning on ordering a brand new crate engine to make things a whole lot easier on me.

·
Registered
808 Posts
well if your planning on going all out, why not just get a Duramax? it's an Isuzu engine, has a ton of power(300+hp, 500+tq) D60's front and back would be major overkill for 33's, better setup would be either a Yota front with a Isuzu 12bolt rear, or a D44 front and a Isuzu 12 bolt rear, or a d44 front, and a D44 rear from a Rodeo. to be honest getting ahold of a 3.1 TD would be a major pain in the rear, and would cost a small fortune to get into the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, see that's the kind of solution I'm looking for so a Duramax diesel would work, that's what I didn't know. So what kind of a duramax would you suggest? Like any specific size (in L)? I'd prefereably get a v6 if you think that's plausable.

So for the SAS from a rodeo did a little reading myself and read that it be best to use a '98 or later rodeo's D44 for the trooper. I also read up on an article to get some more power out of the differential to put a lock-rite locker in the rear D44 diff. The article's on http://cardomain.com.

But I'm planning on doing some major off roading and possibly some cliff climbing with this (70 degree walls possibly...). I live right next to some really nice off roading spots in the south sound region of washington.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Here is a great read on one man's mission for diesel. Not so simple.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat. ... Post838982
I would just look for a diesel trooper and start with that. Go to ebay, type in diesel trooper and add that to your favorite searches. You will be sent an email anytime someone posts a sale meeting your criteria. They usually show up around once a month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow ok, so that guy makes it seem really hard. I see what your getting at. Though the biggest prob. that I can see is the front end trans-axle/control-arm, but if I were to do a SAS would that jsut defeat the purpose because, technically I can mount the axle to just about anywhere on the leaf-springs (Miller-rigging). But if you think it be better to get one with the deisel in it I might try that but in my town it's kinda hard to get ahold of a good Isuzu.

I don't think I mentioned this before but one of the main reasons I want to do the swap is for a fuel injected engine, and I personally prefere diesel because of it's fuel economy. I like the older Trooper's like the Cherokee's b/c there small and not long! Also they get much better gas mileage! I could care less about looks and I like the boxy look! Those are my biggest concern's, the fuel injected specifically to get a snorkel on it incase I get in some deep '****'!

So with all that considered you still suggest getting a new one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.