Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm planning to have a friend replace my timing belt (and tensioner/idler/water pump) on my '04 Axiom.

I've spent a lot of time reading, searching and trying to learn here, but I need to make sure I order the parts that are correct for my vehicle. And I'm a bit confused with what I'm finding.

If I understand correctly, '98 -'02 Troopers, the '04 Rodeo and all Axioms '02-'04 have the 6VE1 3.5 cylinder engine. And I believe I understand correctly that only the '04 Rodeo and '04 Axiom have direct injection.

One of my questions is: do all of the above listed vehicles use the exact same timing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump? Or does the direct injection change anything?

When I browse isuzuparts.com and look up those parts for the various models/years listed above, the prices are all the same which suggests to me all parts are the same. However, when I browse RockAuto.com and specifically search for '04 Axiom parts, most of the parts and kits listed state W/O DIRECT FUEL INJECTION which seems strange because ALL '04 are direct injection I assume. So that makes me wonder if they can be installed on my '04 Axiom. Also, some of the Ebay sellers sell timing belt kits for '02-'03 Axioms but make no mention of '04 Axioms while others claim what they are selling is for all Axioms.

What I was hoping to do was get a great deal on a timing belt kit off of EBAY, but I want to make sure I don't buy something that doesn't actually work for my '04 Axiom even though the seller's ad may state that it does.

Also, does anybody know what brand(s) the OEM timing belt and tensioner, idler, and water pump were?

I see brands such as Gates, AC Delco, Dayco, Goodyear, GMB (water pump), PCi.... Any of these that are the best or any that should be avoided?

Hope someone can help! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip.

Checking part #s on that site did occur to me because I ran across the site before. A little more than a week ago I placed an order for a replacement rear wiper arm and an antenna mast... but the next day I received an email stating my order was cancelled because basically the website/parts ordering service is defunct. Then I found isuzuparts.com whose prices weren't quite as good, but I got what I needed in a timely manner.

Anyhow, I was hoping to get a verbal answer on the timing belt & related parts for a D.I. '04 Axiom from someone "in the know" on this board. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.